Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Hi everyone!
Just going to the Panama Canal in 2007. Wanted to know about entertainment, food, and ambiance on the Summit. Please let me know what you think. Have traveled on Royal Caribbean and Carnival.
Please write back!
Thanks,
Old 05-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Hi everyone!
Just going to the Panama Canal in 2007. Wanted to know about entertainment, food, and ambiance on the Summit. Please let me know what you think. Have traveled on Royal Caribbean and Carnival.
Please write back!
Thanks,
Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 AM

We did the Summit in November 2005 on the eastbound Panama itinerary. We found the entertainment pretty boring...but learned very quickly that this is a cruise geared to an older crowd...being recently retired and relatively young to be doing so (56 and 59), we weren't quite ready for what we got on this trip. There are MANY days at sea in the 14 day intinerary we had, activities repeated themselves, and there seemed to be not a lot of night life (see my comment about about the "older crowd." Others, however, may disagree. Of all the Celebrity cruises, this was my least favorite. Summit has been in the news quite a bit recently but the mechanical problems were not an issue on our trip. What I did notice, however, was a lack of supervision of the crew...have to tell you I actually saw a pool guy sneaking into one of the spa rooms with one of the room stewardesses (they were both in uniform so I assume "on duty") early in the morning...something I never saw on any other ship. While our dining room people were wonderful, our own room steward left a lot to be desired. The best Mexican port was Costa Rica, and the tour to Cabacon Hot Springs Resort and Spa is not to be missed...an incredible trip despite the long bus ride. Celebrity chooses great tours and guides for their clients. And the trip through the Panama Canal was absolutely worth the cost of the entire trip. You will find this ship quite a step up from both RCCL and Carnival...especially Carnival!! The Summit is aery classy ship and Celebrity is a classy cruise line. Hope you have a great time!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chloe:
The best Mexican port was Costa Rica,

WHAT?!?!?

But aside from the comment above, I've been on the Summit and I can say she is a delightful ship (it was my third Celebrity cruise) with a very nice staff. I never saw any "hanky-panky" involving the staff but then I might have been too busy "doing my own thing" to keep tabs on what other folks (including staff) might be doing .

Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 PM

Ouch!! Sorry to tell you that I was not LOOKING for what I saw...nor was I "keeping tabs" on anyone...I guess I should have not mentioned it all and apologize for any offense I have caused anyone. I guess I just found this all to be quite surprising, especially for Celebrity.

As for Costa Rica (or any other port, for that matter), my thought is that one's reaction to a port is largely due to what one experienced there. We were there for one day and we spent the entire day on the one tour I described. I've been to Costa Rica for a week, but was never more impressed by the tour taken with Celebrity. Perhaps I just chose the wrong tours in the other ports.

Very happy to hear of your satisfaction with the Summit and best wishes on your upcoming Seabourn cruises.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chloe:
We did the Summit in November 2005 on the eastbound Panama itinerary. We found the entertainment pretty boring...but learned very quickly that this is a cruise geared to an older crowd...being recently retired and relatively young to be doing so (56 and 59), we weren't quite ready for what we got on this trip. There are MANY days at sea in the 14 day intinerary we had, activities repeated themselves, and there seemed to be not a lot of night life (see my comment about about the "older crowd." Others, however, may disagree. Of all the Celebrity cruises, this was my least favorite. Summit has been in the news quite a bit recently but the mechanical problems were not an issue on our trip. What I did notice, however, was a lack of supervision of the crew...have to tell you I actually saw a pool guy sneaking into one of the spa rooms with one of the room stewardesses (they were both in uniform so I assume "on duty") early in the morning...something I never saw on any other ship. While our dining room people were wonderful, our own room steward left a lot to be desired. The best Mexican port was Costa Rica, and the tour to Cabacon Hot Springs Resort and Spa is not to be missed...an incredible trip despite the long bus ride. Celebrity chooses great tours and guides for their clients. And the trip through the Panama Canal was absolutely worth the cost of the entire trip. You will find this ship quite a step up from both RCCL and Carnival...especially Carnival!! The Summit is aery classy ship and Celebrity is a classy cruise line. Hope you have a great time!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, crowd, cruise, geared, hanky, older, panky, ships, stewards, summit