Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 PM

I am booked on the Solstice for Nov 19, 2 night inaugural. Just looked at the site and it stated to bring either driver's license or passport, no mention of birth certificate only photo ID.

I'm sure the ship sails, doesn't it???????
Old 07-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure why the Jones Act does not come into effect on the little cruises to nowhere but does on longer sailings. Since you would not be hitting a foreign port, there is no requiremnet for the birth cert unless the cruiseline requires it. I would check with the cruiseline or your T/A to be sure and not go by info from the website alone although that info is probably correct. If you have a passport, always bring it for any travel. I'd bring a birth cert too if you don't have a passport, just in case, no harm in having more ID than required.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Hey Neil....When I've sailed on the nowhere cruise before, I've always had to show my passport or original/certified birth certificate. When I've done ship inspections that did not sail, then I only had to show driver's license.

That's why I was a little confused.

Thanks....
Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not sure why the Jones Act does not come into effect on the little cruises to nowhere but does on longer sailings.
The Passenger Services Act has nothing to do with passport requirements. Cruises that start in and return to the same U.S. port without making any ports of call certainly qualify under the PSA.

As for the ID issue... CRUISER2000, we took a CTN a couple of months ago. We used our passports, but our traveling companions, who are U.S. citizens and do not have passports, were told that all they needed was photo ID. To be on the safe side, they also brought their birth certificates as proof of citizenship. I'd advise bringing both, also. Of course, a passport is ideal.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

If someone has a passport, there is no good reason to not use it as ID, even if it is a CTN. The current rules can be seen at the Customs & Border Protection site.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Once again I see we need to call upon an excellent article written by Alan Walker at the old Sealetter website. A Hard Act To Follow
Old 07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If someone has a passport, there is no good reason to not use it as ID, even if it is a CTN.
I even use mine when traveling domestically by plane.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Great link Dave. I knew the basics but never bothered learning the details. That link spelled things out clearly and the benefits and draw backs. I always thought it was a silly law but didn't know the economic benefits to the law. Thanks for posting it.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the link, Dave, now I know why I didn't become a lawyer. I can't talk in circles.

Closed Thread

Tags
inaugural, link, linkswwwjonesactmaritimelawyercom, run, solstice