Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

View Poll Results: why would you want to go on a Celebrity cruise after reading my message?
No reason 1 100.00%
Beware of what you get 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Well Peejay43, you picked a fight with the wrong guy. Being that you are new to the forum I might excuse your juvenile rush to judgment.

First things first, I don’t make a claim to being a serious cruiser, if you read more about the site you will learn that this is something assigned for the number of posts you make to the site. In my opinion you appear to be a “Serious Loser”. Do you always get what you want by whining? You won’t get much sympathy here.

So Celebrity didn’t make you feel special, big deal. Each cruise experience is unique and every cruise line will have their moments. Your assumptions about me not knowing what tipping is from a few brief sentences I have posted shows your lack of deductive reasoning and a stereotypically dull “IT” persona.

I have traveled extensively into many countries and I am fluent in three languages. I majored in cross-cultural studies and lived and worked in Latin America. If you want to get personal, I suggest you find another site. On this site you will find mostly great people with a love for cruising and if you follow the threads, have an ongoing relationship with other posters. So if you are done with your hissy-fit, maybe you can lighten up and make worthwhile posts.

Chef Ken
Old 12-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Karen
I would dare say that there are some people with their noses so high in the air that they would find fault even with Crystal, Silversea, and Seabourn. To compare Celebrity's cuisine to a roadside diner is ludicrous. If someone expects top name entertainment, then they should go to Las Vegas or New York where they can pay $200 for one show. Forced to tip pool attendants???? That's a first to me. I just sailed on the Century in August and there was no such thing.

By the way PeeJay43- I am pretty wordly myself. As a 20 year Air Force Veteran and an avid traveler, I have traveled all over the world. I have been to all the continents and I have seen third world countries. I guess the difference is I am a realist.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

PeeJay43 - personal attacks on other members of this forum are not allowed. You did this to Chef Ken, and therefore I have allowed his response to you to stand in public view. So that one is now even. No more please.

The "ranks" people have in the forum are indeed a result of the number of posts they have made and not the number of cruises.

And finally, the costs of cruises on the mainstream lines would be much higher if gratuities were done away with. You can pay it either way, in tips or higher fares, but the bottom line is that the customer ALWAYS ends up paying the bill. Cruise lines are not charities, they are in business to make money for their stockholders.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi,

I really appreciate you posting this one. Thanks
for sharing your bad experience with Celebrity.

What a shame.....Losing personal belongings
from professional thieves is a criminal offense.

I cannot believe that Celebrity cannot reimburse you from the losses. They are a big time cruise company & making monies from these cruises.

I completely agree with you - THINK TWICE before
booking with Celebrity. Greatly consider Holland America, PRINCESS Cruise Line or even Jewel. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 AM

SD cruiser come on be fair it is not the cruiselines fault when passengers are too trusting and don't lock their luggage with expensive items (by the way no insurance in the world will pay in the above mentioned case) Since all cruiselines need to use the same longshore men guess what - all of them have the same problems...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM

Katherine Knowlton offers a tutorial on cruise line economics in response to my post about tipping, confirming my observations about the cruise industry's exploitative labour practices but missing the point entirely on the original issue.

The entire purpose of a gratuity is to recognize and reward someone for the personal service they have already given. It is not a bribe to ensure that service is given in the first place.

In our case, the ONLY person who provided direct service to us was our cabin steward. He did a good job and we recognized his efforts appropriately. Anyone else who provided a direct service (bar stewards, for example) included a "tip" or service charge of 15% on whatever transaction they were involved with. No additional tip should be expected or given.

The various people Katherine suggests were "busting their asses" for me behind the scenes aren't my problem. Even if the assertion about how hard they work were true (which certainly wasn't the case on "Galaxy") their compensation package is nothing to do with me.

My objection is to the practice of arbitrarily and automatically charging "tips" to passenger accounts (which some lines now do) and "recommending" tipping guidelines for a variety of personnel who do not provide personal service.

On the basis of Mx. Knowlton's comments, perhaps we should tip the Captain and the little man who steers the ship...

Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 AM

I must be missing something, this post started as a warning not to leave valuables in unattended luggage. Somehow, it's turned into a slug fest about tipping and expectations. Maybe a little holiday cheer would soften some of the blows here.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Yes, I hate it when threads are hijacked and veer off track - especially with not-so-subtle condescension.

BTW, Peejay43 - her name is Karen not Katherine.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Penny3333, I'm with you - I think a little "holiday cheer" IS in order. Peejay43, you seem to be angry with anyone that shares an opposing view or points out the realities of cruising on any line. We like to keep this a happy place (okay, so I am a "Pollyanna" - but life is too short to dwell on the negative), and so here's hoping this thread takes a turn toward the positive.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks to Dave, Penny and Nancy I think it just did take a very positive turn. Thank you!

Closed Thread

Tags
beware, cruise, employees, princess, star