Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 05:01 PM

Has anyone had recent experience cruising on the Galaxy, especially the Med Cruises. Some of the recent reviews (and there are only a few) cause me a lot of concern - from soiled and sticky furniture to extraordinary wear and tear. On the other hand some reviews seem to say its in pretty good shape...it would be nice to get some up to date information. HELP!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 AM

I will be sailing on her later this year, but can attest to the fact that Celebrity is doing a great job of keeping her older ships in great shape. I have just sailed on the Century in the Baltic and just got off the Mercury in Alaska and both were in tip-top shape, even though they are older. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tom
Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks Tom, as usual you are very helpful. The problem with reviews is that some people are never happy - they want a luxury $5,000 cruise for $1200 and then complain about evbery little thing. On the other hand, reviews do help one make a decision on which cruise to take. I have space reserved on Princess for the Med in Sept 2006 and Galaxy in Sept 2006. I will of course only confirm one. Galaxy is about $1,000 per couple cheaper- and as I am on a fixed income- I am leaning towards Galaxy for 11 nights rather than Princess for 12. The galaxy itinerary actually is better. Anyway, I look forward to your review when you complete your cruise. I am on the Mercury out of SanDiego in October 2005..and looking forward to it...we are mid-ships (dont like the comments on the shudder at the aft!,,,. Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 04:03 PM

The Mercury offers a great itinerary and is a very good deal. I think you will love the cruise.

Tom
Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 AM

Mike,
In looking at the Med/Greek itineraries, I prefer the Galaxy's also. Let us know which one you choose.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:00 AM

Mike if you look under member reviews you will see the review I wrote after our 10 night Eastern Med cruise on Galaxy in June. You are considering the 11 night one which does Istanbul instead of the 10 night one we did. However as you will see we enjoyed the cruise, the ship and the itinerary. Galaxy was in fine shape as far as I could see with only minor wear and tear as you would expect on a ship of its age. We enjoyed Mykonos and Santorini more than the Italian ports and have been looking at itineraries that cover more of the Adriatic and Greek Islands. The Galaxy and Millenium itineraries are a bit too much more of the same for us but the Princess Mediterannean Mosaic interary looks a really good one. It is however rather more expensive than Celebrity which is novel in our experience. We have had good cruises on both Celebrity and Princess and these days choose as much by the itinerary as by the ship, though as you will note from my signature we do have another two Celebrity cruises booked.
Princess Star 2003, Sun 2004
P&O Oceana 2004
RCCL Nordic Empress 2002
Regal Empress 2002
RCCL Legend of the Seas Apr 2006
Saga Ru** June 2006
P&O Arcadia July 2006
Carnival Miracle Oct 2006
Booked:
RCCL Navigator Apr 2007
P&O Aurora Sep 2007
QM2 Sep 2007
Sapphire Princess Apr 2008
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Mike,
I just returned from the cruise you are taking. Sept.'05 The ship had very minor wear...nothing to stop you from taking the cruise. While I was on the ship, they were replacing the rugs on the steps. The only wear I noticed was on a chair in the cabin. It was very very minor...some people complain about anything and everything. The exceptional service and food was wonderful. Everyone gets a Celebrity robe in their room which is something you won't have to pack. Mykonos and Santorini and Nice were the best ports in my opinion. In Sicily, I took the Taormina and Mt. Etna tour. I wish I had more time in Taormina. Mt. Etna was interesting but took a long time to get there and back. We had a so-so lunch with the tour and then climbed up on a small crater. I thought it would be more. We saw a store that lava had stopped right at the wall...interesting but not THAT interesting. Mykonos was very charming. I recommend getting off the shuttle bus and staying to the water and head up to the windmills. That will take you to a section called little Venice. It's very picturesque and a good place for the sunset. Once you get all of your pictures along there, you can come back through the town by heading inward. It's composed of alot of small alleyways and shops hotels etc. It's easy to get lost and there really aren't street names, but it's a fun experience. Or you can head back along the water, to the square and take a few main arteries for some local shopping without getting lost. Santorini you need to take the cable car up. It's the same price as the donkeys and alot less stinky. Those donkey men are out to get you and even tho you can walk the stairs for free, they try and get you to pay. People in our group refused to pay to walk the stairs down and had to deal with the donkey men crowding and intimitdating them. They also said you had to walk through alot of donkey doo...not really pleasant. Once you get up to the town, if you take a left, you can wander out, take another left at the scenic cafe and go out along the cliffs for some beautiful views and photos. The shopping was better in Mykonos, if thats what you like. Villefrance, Nice and Monaco are not to be missed. I took a half day tour to Monaco, but wished I had more time there. It was a scenic bus ride. Genoa has the home of Colombus. It's a block behind the H & W department store that the busses drop you off at, right next to the two big towers of the wall around the old city. You can wander down to the waterfront from there and they have an old sailing ship that was built for some American movie. Our table mates said they really enjoyed the tour to Portofino. Naples has the fort and a museum of the remains from Pompeii and Hurculeneum. The side tours to either of those or Capri or Sorrento are all very nice. Shopping for cameos or inlaid wooden musical boxes is good in Sorrento and probably the most reasonable shopping area. In Naples, I was warned by several natives to "hold on to your handbag". Just be careful of pickpockets,if you go to Naples. It was a wonderful cruise. I had also read reviews about engine tremors near the dining room and was worried since my room was below it. I think the tremors were when the boat was braking or turning. Not a big deal and it didn't bother me in my room. One caution, make sure you don't have a room under a kitchen or cafe or any of the whited out areas on the map. They are up all night preparing food and our table mates on the Penthouse floor said it sounded like bowling going on above their ceiling every night. I also heard being under the pool can be noisy. Try to get a room under other rooms. That is the only complaint and not worth missing the cruise over it.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruises, greek, map, mykonos, reviews