Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Can people tell me which cruise line they prefer for dining, Celebrity or Princess? I really enjoyed the Princess free seating and am nervous about Celebrity's fixed seating when I am someone who requires several small meals a day.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi jmcs and welcome to Cruise Chat.

Celebrity's food is excellent; whether it's better or worse than Princess is very subjective, and I'm sure people will come down on both sides of that issue.

As for needing several small meals a day, don't worry. There is always food being served somewhere on the ship, including 24 hour room service. You won't have to go far to find food at whatever times you want it.

Sandy
Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

That's a tough one, as food reviews are highly subjective, as Sandy stated. Generally, the food on Celebrity is excellent, although there was one cruise last year on which we thought the food was not up to par. Yet, the food we had on our Century cruise a couple of months ago was superb.

As on any cruise, if you don't enjoy the entree you ordered, let the waiter know and s/he will be happy to bring you something else.

As for fixed dining times, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have a teenager who eats many times a day, and there was always something available at the buffet, including lighter snacks for myself. Additionally, we attended a few afternoon teas, where there were finger sandwiches and other offerings.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 AM

The above are all great observations.

To which I can add that sometimes the quality of the food has a lot to do with the chef in charge as well.

So the food on a ship gets great reviews, you book, the chef has gone to another ship. So when people ask is the food on Maasdam better than the Statendam...you know what I mean.

But in general, the best way to find out which line's food is to your preference...guess you just have to try them all and sort it out for yourself. DARN!

Seriously though, My wife and I love Celebrity food...particularly their fish, which my wife says is the best she has had in any restaurant - land or sea. High praise!

Smooth sailing.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Having travelled on both ( Coral Princess, Century ) I would give a small edge to Princess, more varity attention to small details etc.The same applies to the service in the dining room. but no question both are very good. Hope this helps
Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

Having sailed with most of the major cruise lines I would say princess is far and above better quailty food. I would also say H /A Carnival,Cunard and several others have better quality food. I am not at all impressed with Celebrity since they were bought out by Royal Carribean. They are not the same as they used to be..
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM

I have to disagree with Mr. Stanton. While Princess offered the same type of food and selection as Celebrity, the Celebrity experience has been much better in my opinion. Royal Carribean bought Celebrity years ago and we enjoy Celebrity just as much as we ever did. In fact we leave tomorrow for Hawaii on the Summit! Can't wait! The real difference for me between Princess and Celebrity was the service and while the service on Princess was good, the people on Celebrity are much more personable, friendly and capable.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Banned

Ray we were talking about quality of the food. Not the quality of service. I will say and have always said the dinning room service on Celebrity ships is very good. I do not dispute that, I do however think that the food quality is not as good.You are welcome to your opinion as wll as I. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.. Tom
Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM

[quote]

Seriously though, My wife and I love Celebrity food...particularly their fish, which my wife says is the best she has had in any restaurant - land or sea. High praise!
QUOTE]

I love fish, so your comment has made me very happy! Thanks.

My brother has just come off an east coast Carnival cruise and described the food as plentiful, adequate and rather boring. Good food, prepared by someone else, is for me one of the great pleasures of cruising. Boring and adequate I can get at home
Old 11-10-2007, 04:28 PM

My son, who will turn 18 next month thinks Chef Boy'R'Dee and McDonalds are the best eating a guy can have. My tastes are a little different. With any discussion of quality of food on land or sea there are going to be differing opinions. This is the hardest area for me as a T/A to advise clients on. All I can do is pass on my own experiences, which seem to vary each sailing, even when sailing the same line. And to pass on the feedback I get from clients. There are lines like Celebrity AND Princess that get very good reviews in the food and service area consistantly. There are some lines that I won't mention that can be all over the board with reviews. Even these lines have amazingly loyal passenger bases that can find no wrong with their cruiseline of choice. Personally, I've never had bad food on any cruise I've taken. I do have my preferences as does everyone else who cruises. Give us a review when you get back and let us all know your thoughts on the quality of food and the service.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, cruises, crusies, cut, egypt, food, free, princess, quality, review, scott, ships, taylor, worst