Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 AM

My partner and I are booked on Galaxy out of Rome in September 2006. We are having second thoughts given the number of poor reviews on this ship we have read. We dont care about a little carpet stain, or scuffing of chairs but we do care about cleanliness a comfortable bed and good service and food. Also smooth embarkation and disembarkation at ports of call (that was awful on Mercury-Mexican Riviera). Anyone who has travelled or will travel on Galaxy in the last 3 months or the next 3 months please send me a PM giving me your honest thoughts. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:51 AM

Hey Mike there are tons of Galaxy reviews on www.cruisecritic.com I will be sialing on her May 6th from Galveston to Rome. It will be my first Celebrity cruise. I have read more positive reviews than negative. Els
Old 05-09-2006, 12:21 PM

mike i just got off the ship galaxy 3 day ago the food was great but you have to dress up for every meal which i did not like ,,, if i am on vacation i do not feel like i have to dress up for ever dinner< supper and the really do not give much other choice for any other place for supperunless you wont a pizza or burger or do like we did do room service and have it brought to your room whichmake you late and miss any shows unless you go for the late sitting
i had a great time on the shipand they done some thing like when you come on some one take you to you room so you do not have to hunt for it
i guess i rather be on a carnival ship because there not muchon going on far as things to do after 10 pm the cruise ship is mostly for retired folks hope this help
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 AM

I am working on a MEGA review of the Galaxy from a cruise I took to the Panama Canal on her in November. She was fine then. Celebrity does a good job of maintaining their ships.

Tom
Old 05-16-2006, 09:17 AM

We sailed the Galaxy over Christmas 2005. She was great. Best service I've ever had on 12+ cruises on various lines.

I too had heard and read negative comments regarding the ship prior to departure and they were unfounded.

This is NOT a ship for anyone who is looking for the glitz and glam of a new glossy ship. If you are looking for a manageable size and comfortable surroundings you will do just fine with the Galaxy.

We stayed in a Sky Suite and the bed was just as good if not better than any ship or resort we have stayed in.

When looking for a family cruise this Christmas, when we saw the Galaxy had an itinerary which interested us, we did not hesitate one moment in sailing on her again.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 AM

Mike- We just came back from a Panama Canal cruise on the Galaxy. We had taken a Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Mercury in November. The upholstery on the Galaxy in our room was very stained and I was surprised that it had not been cleaned. I felt the food, especially in the dining room, and the service were better on the Mercury but we had no complaints about the rest of the ship.Getting on the ship was a nightmare and people were getting very frustrated and vocal. This surprised us as well because usually Celebrity cruises are very smooth sailing when getting on and off the ships.I know this sounds more negative than positive but each trip on the same ship is so different. I hope you have a great one.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Mike, my wife and I will be on that same cruise (Sept 15th out of Rome).

i too was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. are you arriving in rome the same day? we are arriving in Rome the day of the cruise and leaving the day it gets back. i'm concerned when i read all the problems peopl have had with disembarkment and embarkment. any info you get on that (or anything else) please share.

thanks,

aaron
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 PM

Hi all,

We traveled on a Med cruise on the Galaxy this past October. Of all the ships we have cruised on, this was my least favorite ship. I felt that the ship had a "worn" look to it and needed updating in certain areas. Our cabin was one of those areas. The bedspreads and window treatments were very used looking; the bathroom definitely was used also. The sink had stains on it, the shower curtain had missing hooks, the hot water shower valve would suddenly shift to very hot water while in the shower. Our cabin was also below the kitchen area and we heard carts moving and dishes rattling all night long. The A/C unit also rattled.

The food was average and definitely not the best we have had on Celebrity ships. The special buffets up on Lido deck were excellent. Entertainment was ok also, not the best we've seen.

However, the itinerary of the Galaxy was certainly outstanding and one that we enjoyed immensely. The port experiences were outstanding, some ports were not our favorites. However, on an overall basis we were very satisifed with the ports we visited. We booked all private shore excursions and that worked out very well and was definitely less expensive than doing the ship's tours.

We did make the best of our cruising on the Galaxy but would have to say that we would not travel again on the Galaxy unless the ship were overhauled.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike1944:
My partner and I are booked on Galaxy out of Rome in September 2006. We are having second thoughts given the number of poor reviews on this ship we have read. We dont care about a little carpet stain, or scuffing of chairs but we do care about cleanliness a comfortable bed and good service and food. Also smooth embarkation and disembarkation at ports of call (that was awful on Mercury-Mexican Riviera). Anyone who has travelled or will travel on Galaxy in the last 3 months or the next 3 months please send me a PM giving me your honest thoughts. Thanks.
Mike-we are also booked out of Rome on the Galaxy in September. Also reading "so-so"
reviews on the ship. Having second thoughts. Will continue to search for some good
informatin. We also booked a land excursion, prior to the sail date, out of Venice.
I plan to continue to investigate.
Lorraine
Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 AM

Hi Mike, We are also cruising on the Galaxy in September. Our last cruise in Feb was to Panama Canal and it was aboard the Galaxy. Initially we were disappointed to be going on the Galazy again BUT only because we love exploring new ships but now realize we can immediately go to our favorite places on board. I would give the Gal 5 stars for the cleannliness and service shown to us. I suffer from mild sea sickness and require some bread/butter to ride out the bouts. Our room steward had it there for me each nite. We really enjoyed our wait staff and hope most of them are still on the ship when we board in Rome.

Closed Thread

Tags
galaxy