Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

I'm home! Left Heathrow about 20 minutes late this morning (12:20pm London time, 7:20am eastern time). Got into Dulles at 3:30. Then the fun began. Nothing quite like the fire drill at Dulles for international passengers who have connecting flights. Step 1: go to the first CBP station and get cleared. Step 2: go get your luggage and get cleared by a second CBP station. Pray you are not selected for secondary luggage screening. Step 3: After clearing the second CBP station go to another line for your TSA screening. That's right. If you boarded a plane in London you have to go through TSA before going on to your first U.S. flight. Step 4: Learn your connection is in a terminal which requires you to use the shuttle. Rush to the shuttle...the clock is ticking and your usually late connection happens to be on-time today. The shuttle (a big-wheeled box with an engine) lumbers down to your terminal. Step 5: blast out of the shuttle with a major need to use the rest room but you can't stop because your connection is within minutes of leaving. Step 6: make your connection, and then it sits at the gate for another 20 minutes.

I hate Dulles.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Step 4: Learn your connection is in a terminal which requires you to use the shuttle. Rush to the shuttle...
That would be ALL terminals. A very few small planes used to leave from the main terminal but I'm not sure they do any more. All flights leave from the "midfield terminal" reachable either by the people-mover you experienced, or now by long walkways.

Welcome home. All's well that ends well! And if you hate Dulles, you would have hated LaGuardia even more today, where Terminal C was evacuated and bedlam ensued later.

Sandy
Old 08-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
you would have hated LaGuardia even more today, where Terminal C was evacuated and bedlam ensued later.
I was just reading about that. More substantiation for our endless pleas to people to get to your cruise port a day early!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Welcome Home Dave!

Glad you had a safe trip home. It sounds like you had a wonderful time on the Equinox.

Dwayne
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM

Welcome home Dave! Reading your evaluations of the Equinox makes me so excited about our trip in December. Sounds like we are in for a wonderful time!

I'm glad you got home safely. What a memory-making experience for you!

Nadine
Old 08-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Nadine,

You will be quite pleased with the ship. I am taking another day to recover from sleep deprivation and will start writing my story/review tomorrow. I am also going to be looking at a family cruise on either the Solstice or Equinox.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear that the cabin door opens outward.
Here are the promised photos.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Welcome home, Dave! Sounds like your flights went as normal, messed up to the max That's why I really urge people to fly in early. There are so many problems with our airports, especially if you're making connections or an international passenger. The alcoves are an interesting idea. I assume the back side of that is the bathroom area?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Welcome Home Admiral- Now that you've recovered your landlegs again I am glad to report that there were no outbreaks of scurvy among your crew, the rum supply is somewhat depleted and we've not spoted any mice in the bilge!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The alcoves are an interesting idea. I assume the back side of that is the bathroom area?
Right. That way you can't hit doors if someone is entering the room just when someone is exiting the bathroom. I loved the aqua class bathroom. Great shower! The regular shower head plus several jets. You could select several options for water flow.

There are two layouts for the rooms. Those like mine with the annoyance of the closet being by the beds, and an opposite layout with the bed by the balcony door and the couch next to the closet. The latter sounds better.

Closed Thread

Tags
aqua, bridges, building, celebrity, ceremony, class, crowded, cruises, equinox, feels, grandeur, imaginative, naming, seas, ship, ss