Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Celebrity vs. Princess
Just returned from 11 nights on the Celebrity Millenium, with our previous 2 cruises on the Crown Princess and Emerald Princess. Since comparison questions come up a lot I'll offer this comparison for those who are interested, but keep in mind it's just 3 ships and others may have a different experience.

Getting on and off the ship: This pertains to embarking, disembarking and daily stops. Celebrity gets the highest marks here....we were on the ship day one in a matter of minutes and there were never any lines when we made stops. Princess was good on the first and last days, but we ran into large crowds on excursion days and had to wait in hallways. Advantage - Celebrity.

Staterooms: Both had nice staterooms but Celebrity's shower area was almost 3 times larger. Somewhat noisy early AM on Celebrity..woke us up at 5 almost every day. Edge - Celebrity.

Food: Sit down dinners on both were very good to excellent, depending upon what you ordered, but Princess had many more excellent nights. The alternate buffet on Princess changed every night while Celebrity buffet had the same food every night. Princess has a large food quality advantage on the buffets as well. Celebrity buffets serve you; Princess you serve yourself. Grills were both good; Celebrity fish and chips (just a couple of hours a day) was excellent, pizza fair at best. Advantage - Princess.

Staff: Great staff on both ships....greeted all the time by everyone you pass. No advantage.

Bar: Prices for alcoholic drinks are more on Celebrity and they have far fewer staff walking around on deck taking orders. Most of the time we had to go get our own drinks. Advantage - Princess.

Island Hours: Celebrity gave at least a couple of hours more on many stops which allowed us to do full-day excursions with our own guides. Big advantage - Celebrity.

Pools: Princess had fresh water pools and more of them; Celebrity's pools had salt in them but I don't know if it was ocean water or just treated with salt for sanitation purposes. Same for the hottubs. Advantage - Princess.

Theater Entertainment: Celebrity productions were far more intense - an excellent show every night; good comics. Advantage Celebrity.

Musicians: The roving musical groups were good on both ships, but the ones on Princess were much more polished. Advantage - Princess.

Movies: Small but comfortable indoor theater on the Millenium, but Movies under the stars on Princess is really a treat. Both played recent movies. Advantage - Princess.

No review on excursions since we book independent of the ships.

OVERALL: The time on the islands gets a lot of weight for us, and for that reason we'll go back on Celebrity. If Princess can extend their stays however, we'd prefer to go with them. Overall, one line isn't clearly better than the other.

Last edited by Bob1958; 02-12-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the review. One thing I really like about Celebrity is the lack of annoying announcements. My experience, I think Celebrity gets the edge.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Thank you for your assessment. I agree with you on many points. We also give the edge to Celebrity's cabins, mainly as a standard balcony cabin on the M-class ships can comfortably hold the three of us whereas we'd need to go for a mini-suite on most Princess ships. (Then again, the mini-suites I've seen are nice...)

Welcome home, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Planning the next one yet?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Thank you for your assessment. I agree with you on many points. We also give the edge to Celebrity's cabins, mainly as a standard balcony cabin on the M-class ships can comfortably hold the three of us whereas we'd need to go for a mini-suite on most Princess ships. (Then again, the mini-suites I've seen are nice...)

Welcome home, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Planning the next one yet?
We're talking about a Mediterranean Cruise next. However, we were so impressed by Dominica that we're also considering a week-long vacation on that island so we can see it all. Funny how I never heard of the place and it was the nicest stop we had!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Great review, and thank you so much. I much prefer Princess, but do agree with many of your points. The Celebrity cruise we had did not leave a good impression on me, so that is totally my opinion. I agree 100% about Dominica, it is a wonderful port of call.

Closed Thread

Tags
advantages, celebrity, compair, cruise, cruiseshow, curuses, entertainment, line, mini, night, person, princess, serve, suite, versus