Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/)
-   -   Dress code (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/36636-dress-code.html)

tim c 03-02-2011 08:51 AM

Dress code

My wife and I are looking ar a celebrity cruise..We have been on 3 other cruiselines and I have heard thar celebrity is a little more formal.. men have to wear slacks everywhere onboard.ladies in sun dresses. The cruises I have been on did not require cerrain dress code.. Is this true.. I dont wear shorts to the dinning room I agree! But during the day what is it like..THANKS!!

Cruise Fanatic 03-02-2011 09:54 AM

You can wear shorts during the day, no problem. You will see those dressing up more at night with sports coat & tie, but collared shirts & dockers is acceptable. They also have a stricter smoking policy. Celebrity is a premium product. They have a sophisticated, relaxed ambiance. One of the things I love about Celebrity is the quieter atmosphere. They aren't blasting announcements all the time to "come on and play bingo", or "the art auction starts in 10 minutes". They leave it to you to read about it in the daily program. They aren't in your face all the time trying to sell drinks. Those that are used to the hustle and bustle on Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, may mistake Celebrities ambiance as boring; when it fact to many it is refreshing. There's plenty of activities on Celebrity, but they are geared toward enrichment. Such as computer classes, digital camera classes, wine tasting, Rosetta Stone language classes, and lecturers. They aren't playing loud games around the pool. The main production shows will be similar to those on other cruise lines. The newer Solstice class ships will have more activities, more shopping, and dining choices. The older Century (which I love), and the Millennium class ships are both very nice but somewhat smaller.

ebtrinity 03-03-2011 04:38 PM

My husband and I have sailed with Celebrity 5 times - we are taking our 6th in April. We have found that anything goes during the day. Shorts & T's are the standard - swim suit & cover-up or sarong is the other for women. If you wish to attend wine tastings, they prefer you to be in dressier wear (dress short with polo); otherwise around the pool, it's casual. Dinners are dressier - men wear long pants with shirt or polo - some wear blazers. With luggage restrictions on aircrafts, dress pants & polos for men is sufficient and tux or dark suit for formal nights as Cruise Fanatic has indicated. It's a little easier for women - our outfits are lighter in weight and can be crammed in a suitcase

Celebrity always has that extra touch - when boarding they do in style with spark. wine / when in port you are welcomed back with cold towels and refreshments. On deck on sea days, they parade w/iced face towels.

We have been on RCI & Holland of America as well. Celebrity provides extra special touches.

Enjoy your holiday whichever cruise line that you select.
eb.

wooddon 03-03-2011 07:27 PM

We were on the Mercury last fall and were very upset as several men came to dinner in shorts every night, including formal nights and they were allow!!! We inform the main person in the dinning room and he kept saying he would take care of it, but it never change. We love getting dress up for dinner every night. We always bring 4 suit cases on every cruise. They were too afraid to make any comments to these men.

Bob1958 03-14-2011 09:50 AM

Anything goes during the day. During the evening hours I think they wanted slacks for those attending the theater productions, but I saw plenty of folks wandering around in shorts in other areas of the ship. I was on board for 12 days and got by with just 1 pair of dockers and a few nice shirts, but we don't do formal nights and we DO pack very lightly.

wbaste 04-01-2011 01:36 PM

First timers

Me and my fiancee are having our honeymoon on board the Solstice in September this year.

It will be our first ever cruise and i was slightyl worried about the dress code on an evening. Reading these reviews has put me at ease somewhat.

On an evening are jeans acceptable or am i best to stick to trousers and a shirt?

Do i need to wear a tie on the evening when the men need to wear tux or dark suit?

Any advice/tips would be really apreciated.

Thanks

penny3333 04-05-2011 07:11 AM

They do not like jeans in the dining room at night, during the day it's fine. If you stick to trousers and a polo or shirt on non-formal nights, you'll be fine. A pair of dress slacks with a dress shirt, jacket and tie are fine for formal evenings. A tuxedo is up to you. Since it's your honeymoon, you might want to go all out and get some great pictures of you and your new bride. The photographers are everywhere, but they do a fantastic job on their portraits.

Congratulations! It's a wonderful way to start your lives together. Just a warning, cruising is addictive:)