Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Red face Transatlantic Cruise on Eclipse for 1st timers
My husband surprised me with a cruise for Christmas. We will be taking a 13 day Transatlantic cruise on the Eclipse in April with stops in the Azores, Ireland, France and ending in Southhampton, England. I have so many questions:

1. It is our anniversary and I have a special bottle of Dom Perignon I would like to take on. Is it allowed:

2. In the ports we are going to, do we really need to take excursions in each one or which ones have things to do readily available?

3. What is the best way to get from Southampton, England to Galwick airport in London?

4. Are the drink packages worth it? They seem so expensive. How much do mixed drinks run on the ship? How about a margarita? Beer?

Sorry for all the questions and I'm sure I'll have more but I am a cruise virgin!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Nice Christmas *and* anniversary present!

1. Celebrity allows two bottles of wine per stateroom to be brought aboard at embarkation, so your champagne is fine. However, be aware that if you want to drink it in a restaurant a corkage fee may be imposed.

2. You don't have to take excursions anywhere if you do not want to do so.

3. Gatwick is a long haul from Southampton. Look here for some advice on transfers.

4. I personally don't think the drink packages are worth it. Cocktails are $6 to $10, wine about the same, and beer runs from $3.50 to $6.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

We agree with Dave on every item (it's Dave's lucky day ) As to your ports there are 3 basic ways to handle ports in Europe (and just about everywhere). You can, of course, book the cruise line excursions which are generally somewhat overpriced (both the tour franchiser onboard and the cruise line need to get their cut of the money) and usually on large buses (I call them cattle calls). You can also arrange for private excursions (this can be expensive unless you have a few others that want to join you). And finally you can do your pre-cruise homework and simply do things on your own. For us, after more then forty years of international travel we seldom have ever taken an excrusion. In Ponta Del Gado , where we will again visit in a couple of weeks, we prefer to simply rent a car and drive the more scenic routes of the island. As to Cork, you will be docking in Cobh and most will pay for excursions to Cork. If you want to simply go to Cork you can walk to the train station (only a couple of min from the pier) and take the train into Cork. Once in Cork you might want to use the Hop on Hop Off Bus to see most of the city or simply do a lot of walking. LeHavre requires some tough choices. First time visitors usually opt to go to Normandy (D-Day stuff) or make the long trip (up to 3 hours each way) into Paris. If this is your first trip to Europe and you want to see the D-Day stuff this might be the place to book an excursion. The alternative is to rent a car and drive yourself (we have done this many times) but many first-time visitors do not like to drive in Europe. As to Paris, it is possible to get there on the train (its actually faster then the tour buses) but its a long way to go and you might be concerned about getting back to the ship on time. This would leave you with several excursion options such as just taking the bus and doing Paris on your own or using a city tour. Just keep in mind that you will spend nearly 6 hours in transit just getting to and from Paris. Actually, there are a number or cruisers who will often arrange to disembark in LeHavre so they can stay in France rather then go on to England.

Hank
Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Hank,

Praise from you is indeed much appreciated!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hank,

Praise from you is indeed much appreciated!
Surely you jest
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Hank,

I wish I had the breadth of travel experience you have, particularly in Europe. You are the guy I see leaving the train and not gawking around the terminal like I would. You are the guy who is headed for the correct exit and knows exactly where you are going without looking at the signage.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hank,

I wish I had the breadth of travel experience you have, particularly in Europe. You are the guy I see leaving the train and not gawking around the terminal like I would. You are the guy who is headed for the correct exit and knows exactly where you are going without looking at the signage.
Everyone is at that point sometime in their travels. The more you travel the easier it gets. And how wonderful it is when you get to that easy part!

Tags
2012, azors, celebrity, christmas, cons, crossings, cruise, cruises, cruising, eclipse, passenger, pros, review, reviews, transatlanic, transatlantic