Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Weren't they both on the right side as you went out the gate?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
What a small world ! I read it has been opened since 1956 ! I was also at Langley when I was in the AF put never eat there !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Yes, Smitty's was on the right as you left the base and headed towards Mercury Blvd. Probably a mile or so from the end of the gate bridge. A drive-in with car hops. They had classic car nights and great food.

Our townhouse was on Olde Buckingham across the street from a 7-11. There was a local bar across from us too. Tee-Bears-Two was the name. Very odd name which is why I remember it.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM

It's all coming back to me. I think I liked the onion rings at Smitty's. I remember apartments or townhouses right outside the gate. Mercury Blvd was the place! Lots of good restaurants.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

I liked the whole Tidewater area. Great place to be stationed. If I hadn't accepted the job offer with TVA I probably would have stayed there and taken a job with Newport News shipyard doing nuclear ship overhauls and refuelings.

It's a shame Norfolk can't keep a ship at their cruise facility.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Dave,
It really is a shame ...here is part of an article about Half Moone Terminal. It really is beautiful and empty with only Carnival doing about a half dozen trips to the Bahamas a year. Everyone else pulled out....sad. It would be so easy to just get there in 15 min and take off on a cruise. I remember well when the Enchantment of the Seas pulled out to Bermuda for the last time and then went to Batimore, MD
Such a waste, isn't it ?

"The City of Norfolk, Virginia, has truly arrived on the cruise scene with a 775 percent
growth in passengers from 2001 to 2007. To accommodate the surge, the City planned,
designed and constructed a $40 million state-of-the-art cruise terminal, or the Half
Moone Cruise and Celebration Center. The terminal is within a short walking distance of
downtown shops, restaurants and hotels. Due to Norfolk’s central location on the Eastern
seaboard, home-porting ships can sail to Bermuda (Celebrity Cruises and Regent Seven
Seas Cruises), the Bahamas (Carnival) and the Caribbean (Holland America Line).ame after the City of Norfolk "

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 AM
Administrator

My cruise agent was visiting her daughter and grandkids in Norfolk a couple weeks ago (daughter's husband is deployed in the Navy) and they made a last minute booking on the Carnival Glory. 3rd and 4th guests in the cabin were just $10 and she said the ship was not full.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM

The Carnival Glory $10 for third and fourth has $81.62 government taxes and $119.00 NCCF (port fees) for a total of $210.62. A travel agent making 10% would earn...get this....$1.00

Tags
celebrity, summit