The Celebrity Millennium was due to sail today from Seward, Alaska but has been delayed in Seward until Tuesday due to mechanical issues. The ship will proceed directly to Vancouver on Tuesday. The ship has electricity and full hotel functions. Everyone will be given a 100% refund and future cruise credit.
And now today they have had to cancel the rest of their Alaskan voyage and send the guests home. Apparently they have not been able to resolve the issue with one of the two propulsion engines and the Coast Guard is not letting them sail until fixed. (At least not with guests aboard).
Celebrity has now canceled the next 4 cruises (effectively canceling the remainder of the Millennium's Alaskan season.
Celebrity has refunded the current guests cruise fare and provided a future cruise credit equal to the current cruise cost and is flying passengers home.
Hopefully the team of experts they are bringing in can resolve the problem once and for all.. maybe a new engine is in order? I bet that is not an easy fix.
I actually thought it was the captain's decision not to sail after the second incident. In any case, I think this is the right move, going on the side of caution, even though I read the ship could still sail, even though its speed would most likely be impacted.
Its probably a lot of logistics from Celebrity's standpoint. Those of you not familiar with Ketchikan, its airport is on another island from the town itself, and guests probably have to fly to Seattle, or Juneau to then get to their final destination. I know Celebrity is chartering flights, and do also know that there are regular commercial flights from Ketchikan to Seattle. However, its airport is small, and it looks like only one plane can get in at a time from what I saw when I was there.
2007 - Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas)
2009 - Enchantment of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
2010 - Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
I have read it reported both ways.. it was the Captain's decision and that the Coast Guard told him he couldn't sail. Either way it was the correct decision. If the second engine broke down while in the Bering Sea.... could be very bad.