Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/)
-   -   Unfortunately an Outbreak on Mercury (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/4263-unfortunately-outbreak-mercury.html)

Cruise Fanatic 02-23-2010 06:26 AM

Read about it here.

Cruise Fanatic 02-23-2010 10:02 AM

Janfred,
The Mercury will do it's best to have the next cruise sail out on time. They will be scrubbing the ship down with a fine tooth comb. You most likely will see extra precautionary measures on the next sailing. When this happened on Disney they wouldn't let anyone serve themselves in the buffet or self-serve coffee areas. I think it would take more than the 300plus passengers to cancel the next cruise.

CruiseDad 02-23-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
Janfred,
The Mercury will do it's best to have the next cruise sail out on time. They will be scrubbing the ship down with a fine tooth comb. You most likely will see extra precautionary measures on the next sailing. When this happened on Disney they wouldn't let anyone serve themselves in the buffet or self-serve coffee areas. I think it would take more than the 300plus passengers to cancel the next cruise.
Janfred,Cruise fanatic is absolutly correct. My daughter dances for a cruise line and has seen it many times, even had it herself. While really lousy, it rarely disrupts the schedule. They do extra cleaning and lots of stuff to limit contact. You will be fine. Wash your hands a lot and have fun.

drlivingston 02-23-2010 12:49 PM

Mercury poisoning...

vietvet 02-23-2010 01:16 PM

X is not the cleanest cruise line out there. We sailed with them until the Century got in such bad disrepair we quit. The Horizon was just plain filty. I did like the dinning room service but the cabin steward's were lacking. We sailed with them 4 times the first time on the Century was the best. After that down hill.

Cruise Fanatic 02-23-2010 01:51 PM

Every cruise line has had an outbreak at one time or another. What happened five years ago has no effect on the recent out break on the Mercury. It should also be reiterated, that these outbreaks often aren't even the fault of cleanliness of a ship. They are often brought on a ship from other contacts. I have been cruising Celebrity since 2001 and have always found their ships clean, and service friendly and attentive. I sailed on the Century in August 2006, and also May 2005 before the 55 million refurbishment, and even then didn't find the ship in disrepair. Can a ship and crew have an off week, of course they can. Obviously, Celebrity is doing something right or they wouldn't continue to receive prestigious awards.

janfred 02-23-2010 03:08 PM

Thank you Cruise Fanatic,
I was not worried about getting sick myself, but I wondered when the Ship arrived if it had to go thru some type of special Health Department Inpection that would delay embarkcation. Vietvet, I didn't care much for the Horizon either and they got rid of it but every ship since then has not disappointed. This is why I can't stop myself from not picking Celebrity. NCL was fun, very nice crew and ship but food not quite up to Celebrity. I am always home on Celebrity. I will continue to try others, EPIC in OCT...I want to try Princess too. However I do love the Century, Constellation and the Soltice (a little big for us) We will see how Mercury stands out for us and Summit in May. I LOVE X and they promise to just get better...we will see. http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif

queenofcruzin 02-24-2010 02:13 PM

So sad for those people, I am sure you will be fine janfred. I was just on the Century for my first Celebrity cruise, and I cannot say enough how clean this boat was kept. Very impressed with the staff, something would blow off someone's tray going outside and they would race to pick it up. Beautiful ship I would not hesitate to sail on again.

janfred 02-24-2010 03:25 PM

QOC,
Thank you, I did get an e-mail letter from Celebrity. It was to let us know that boarding would be delayed until 2PM. I am all for it, they are going thru a very detailed cleaning of the ship and Terminal they said. I do feel for those 300 and passengers. It is not fun to be sick on your crusie you've waited for. This last cruise on NCL the last 2 days I caught a bad cold and sore throat and slept. Not what I real wanted to do on my last two days ! Hope all goes well, they did mention everyone was responding well.

queenofcruzin 02-25-2010 06:35 AM

I agree, delaying the embarkation an hour, hopefully cruisers will inderstand that this is in their best interest. I got a little cold in the middle of the cruise, and went to bed early on Wednesday and Thursday, relaxed all day Friday, real cloudy and windy, a little balcony was all I did, but I was packed before dinner for the first time, and enjoyed the last night.