Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Has anyone been on Mercury recently? The Cruise Reviews seem all to be two years or more old, and not very positive.

We have first time cruiser friends who are considering Mercury out of Charleston, SC, only because it's a reasonable drive. I've suggested that instead, they drive or fly to Ft. Lauderdale and go on the Connie or better yet, Solstice. I can't find anything on Mercury renovation or current condition, and would hate to have them turned off to cruising on what I fear is Celebrity's worst ship.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Paupackpop just returned 1/3/09, his post is a little further down on the page. His report was about the Norwalk virus, but you might be able to send him a PM. I haven't had the pleasure of sailing on the Mercury, sorry. The Solstice has been receiving rave reviews.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Skipjack,
I am booked on the Mercury out of Charleston, SC on Feb 26, 2010. My understanding from Celebrity is it was refurbished in April 2007. I did go on the Galaxy (her look alike) back in 1998 and loved it so I am not worried at all. I love the idea that we only have to drive to SC and the intinerary was nice too. We just got off the Solstice and we were told this one is very popular and filling up fast.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks janfred,
We too sailed on Galaxy, in 2005 and from Charleston (five hour drive for us). It was our first experience of Celebrity, and we loved everything about it. We've sailed Celebrity ever since.
My concern is that Mercury (and Galaxy) have gotten a bit worn around the edges since then, as they approach the end of their service with Celebrity.
A Captain's Club rep. told me that Mercury was OK when she took it a year or so ago, with new carpeting, bedding, etc. I hope you find it so.
Skipjack
Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Skipjack,
Is the Mercury being sold also? You know even after cruising on the Solstice I can't honestly say I liked it any better than Constellation or Century, except it was of course newer and more specialty dinning, more passengers etc. I did take the Horizon to Bermuda (rememeber that ship) that was not very nice and sold right after that. I too stick with Celebrity, I know what to expect I guess and get no surprises!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Janfred
I don't know that they plan to sell Mercury - I just suspect that they will, along with Galaxy, as the new Solstice ships come on line. They put serious money into Century, so would expect it to be in service a long while.

We were on the Constellation last month - hard to find anything to complain about, and a lot cheaper that Solstice. Never on Horizon, but the Zenith was really getting long in the tooth.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Celebrity has not really taken good care of thier ships since being purchased by Royal Carribean. The Century was our favorite ship. It was interrible condition the last time we sailed her. And the Horizon was a mess. Unless they have really changed I would not sail with them again.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Celebrity takes care of the ships just as well as any of the cruise lines with scheduled dry docks and refurbishments. I have reported several times on this forum that the Century went through a 55 million dollar refurbishment in November 2005. The Century is a beautiful ship and she remains very popular.

If someone has a bad experience on any cruise line and is unwilling to give it another try, then they never know whether it's changed or not.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I love the Century and would take her anytime, the refurbishment was spectacular. I can honestly say, I would take her over the Solstice (sailed on Feb 09) because she is more intimate and less passengers. The Horizon has been sold long ago. I love Celebrity and will always be a fan. Celebrity never disappoints me. I am so looking forward to the Mercury leaving out of Charleston in Feb, she also went into dry dock not long ago. I can't wait to see her !!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM

I really love to hear Dwayne and janfred defend Celebrity, the nitpickers(sp) who go on a cruise and can't find anything to do but complain, I just dion't have time for. As Dave Beers jsut said recently, the flyby crabbies generally get too much attention (that's what he sorta said). I am booked on my Celebrity on the Century, and I love the smaller ships, so it's 8 months away and I can't wait !!!
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006