Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM

We are seniors and considering the eastern Med cruise on the Solstice this Fall. My husband has very poor vision and we wondered just how difficult the shore excursions and walking in the port cities might be for him. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Without knowing the extent of your husband's limitations it is really impossible to give you advice, except to say that there is usually a lot of walking involed over eneven surfaces, and vehicles are very unforgiving of pedestrians.

But I am sure Celebrity offers a wide variety of shore excursions with varying degrees of physical demand. I know you could find excursions tailored to your husbands limitations.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Appreciate your reply. Husband is legally blind & does have difficulty navigating over extremely uneven surfaces, etc. Most all shore excursions listed for trip are "Moderate" or "Strenuous". Some of the "Moderates" sound like he could make it ok. Just wondering if anyone had done the shore excursions & just how "Moderate" they might be.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Hi Shirleyh, normally the moderate excursions are pretty tame. If hills are involved, and it has been raining, it could be a little more than moderate. As Rick states, it's hard to say. Which ports/excursions were you thinking about?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM

We sailed Solstice on June15 ... 11-day Eastern Med. It wasn't necessarily the walking/climbing steps that was as difficult as the surface of the walkways. Many of these ruins have marble steps/walkways(eg. Ephesus). You want shoes/sandals built with good traction/rubber. Even running shoes are not always reliable (slippery surface).

And for those who wear bifocals, the unevenness/steps can be tricky through the lower half of your glasses. I found I had to look straight down very consistently. I had a lady my age (mid-50's)start this exact conversation with me on the way up to the Acropolis.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM

Hi CdnCruiser, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. I'm sure it will help ShirleyH. I tried the bi-focal lenses (contacts) and just could not do it. I wear my lenses and take out my readers. Guess my brain can't be retrained We hope you'll post more often on our board. We sailed on the Magica, too. Had an absolute ball! Are you booked for another cruise anytime soon? Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, cruises, eastern, europe, excursions, forum, med, medetrain, mediterranean, review, reviews, shore, solstice, soltisce