Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (
-   Celebrity Cruises (
-   -   Celebrity Cruises (

desi 06-06-2010 11:34 AM

I am a new cruiser and in August we r taking a celebrity cruise to the western med starting at Barcelona and taking in Villefranche, Florence Rome, Dubrovnik, Venice,Split and Naples. I have booked the excursion for Venice as we really want to see that but wondered if we could do any of the other excursions under our on stream!

DLT 06-06-2010 03:24 PM

Which excursion did you book in Venice? We took the Gondola ride/Murano Glass Factory and wasn't that impressed - it all depends on your "driver" of the gondola - some people loved it but it was VERY hot and sticky but we can at least say we did it. You will love this trip!!

Bill S 06-14-2010 08:30 AM

Florence and Rome are not near the port, and I would not recommend trying to do them independently. Dubrovnik & Split can be done easily. If you dock in the commercial area of Dubrovnik, there will be a coach, probably at extra cost, to take you to the old town. If you tender, you will be deposited right in the old town. Barcelona has a lot to see so you should probably opt for a city excursion, but it is nice just walking up la Rambla from the cruise terminal. First time there, I would take the tour. I don't like Naples myself, but that's just be me. I've walked around there but wouldn't recommend it. If you want to see it, take the tour.

Hope this helps.

Dave 06-14-2010 09:12 AM

Bill is not alone in his opinion of Naples. It should be looked upon as a jumping off point for much more interesting places such as Sorrento, Capri, the ruins at Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Bill S 06-14-2010 11:00 PM

Dave's suggestion of Sorrento is a good one. We've stopped there several times on cruises and actually stayed there for a week some years ago. All the places along the Amalfi Coast are gorgeous.