Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

How formal are the formal nights? I really want the opportunity to dress it up but don't want to feel over dressed. I know the industry trend is going more and more casual so I was curious from people's observations, how nice to people dress up anymore on the formal nights?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM

You see everything from tuxedo/evening gowns to slacks. I don't wear full length formals anymore and my hubby doesn't wear a tux, but I do wear a cocktail dress and he wears a suit. Most people do tend to dress nicely, but there are those that don't want to be bothered on vacation. It's a treat for me, so I truly enjoy it.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by marykay25:
How formal are the formal nights? I really want the opportunity to dress it up but don't want to feel over dressed. I know the industry trend is going more and more casual so I was curious from people's observations, how nice to people dress up anymore on the formal nights?
My wife and I like to take the opportunity to Dress to the Nines. She wears a full length gown and if we have 2 nights the first night I wear a full battle dress Kilt (minus the dagger in the hose, hard to get it through security) and the second night a Tux. Every cruise I see a few other couples dressed to the hilt. Join us; where else do you get to do that

BTW you know why it's called a Kilt? Because if you call it a dress you get kilt
Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM

I guess this depends on the cruise line. I've been on Royal Caribbean, which I think is Celebrity's sister cruise line. On the formal nights, I wear dress slacks, a button down shirt, tie, and sport coat.

Very funny joke, Cruise Dad!
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Cruise Dad,

And do you go the whole nine yards and do the right thing by not wearing anything underneath the Kilt:-)....

We were just on the Oasis and there were at least a dozen men with full dress kilts...very impressive.....I do a sports coat, shirt and tie now....happy sailing to us all..

Bob E
Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 AM

Very funny CruiseDad!

marykay, Celebrity is more of an upscale type cruise line. I'm guessing most people dress somewhere in between the proper formal dress guide lines with a slant toward the formal.

Of course it is always subjective as to what is perceived as formal attire now a days.

Here is a link to Celebrity's proper dining attire guide lines.

Dwayne
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 PM

CruiseDad, I like your line! A few years back, we took our one and only cruise with Celebrity and were more used to the RCCL dress code..There were the two formal evenings and 2 that were shirt, tie and jacket recommended. At the time I check directly with Celebrity about the jacket and tie and was told that if one does not have that, one could be kept from the dining room..Well, I did bring the jacket because I did not want to take the chance. Heck, I was on vaca and wanted to dress only for the two formal evenings and smart casual for the rest...Time have changed with them.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Berick1234:
Hi Cruise Dad,

And do you go the whole nine yards and do the right thing by not wearing anything underneath the Kilt:-)....

We were just on the Oasis and there were at least a dozen men with full dress kilts...very impressive.....I do a sports coat, shirt and tie now....happy sailing to us all..

Bob E
I keep that a secret. My wife knows and a very few of my golfing buddies who to their discredit "checked"
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM

Girlfriend loves the opportunity to wear the long gowns, (and I'm not complaining!!)
I also wear a tux one nt, and on the other formal nt I will wear tux with kilt.
you certainly have the option ,..
but be aware if you wear a tux , I've been asked a number of times when walking through , for a some more butter,buns, or water etc.! (ha.....ha)

I do find it disappointing when you see people not making any effort in the formal dining lounge to clean themselves up a bit,..ie) t shirt and ballcap , and wearing the ball cap at the table???? sorry I draw the line somewhere, but at least I wasn't sitting at his table!

so dress up!!
enjoy!! you won't feel out of place.
we love to see the all the the attractive people dressed up!

week today on the millenium ....sky suite #6126 !!! :-)
Costa Atlantica 2006
Caribbean Princess 2007
Radiance of the Seas 2008
Vision of the Seas 2009
Celebrity Millennium 2010
Celebrity Millennium 2011
Celebrity century June 2011
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Bon Voyage, Flint Hope y'all have a marvelous cruise!!

Closed Thread

Tags
anymore, casual, celebrity, cruise, cruises, dress, dressed, formal, gowns, hilt, nights, nines, oasis, people, stockings, wear