Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM

We had a great 14 day cruise on Infinity around South America Feb. '07 and enjoyed everything, except the rather pompous guy giving lectures about different ports of calls. His content was excellent but his pompous manner made it hard to take. The naturalist was excellent and pleasant.

And we had just a window in 'steerage.'
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 AM

Hi Elke,
It seems most of the responses I have gotten tell me the original info was exaggerated. I also called Celebrity aboutthe dining because I refuse to wear a jacket on vacation. They said that they have relaxed standards ( though not in writing) and jackets are not required on informal nights. This has made us feel MUCH better. Thanks for your info.

Frank

Quote:
Originally posted by elli:
Hallo Cruiser

who is telling you this crazy things ?
We made the 4. cruise on all Millenium Class
Ships,( all incl. our 14 .cruise, but we have never , never anything to complaint on Celebrity Ships, this is the reason why we allways go back to this Cruise Line. Be shure your cruise will be all right and very pretty
Old 08-18-2007, 10:53 AM

On our '07 14 day cruise on Infinity (Celebrity) many appeared on informal nights without jackets and even on formal nights only about 40% wore a tux. Some women were excessively casual on informal nights.

There seemed to be no logic on the formal and informal choice of nights. Rather than having a formal sitting on a sea day, they often were scheduled on days in port, most of which were tendered, so it was always a mad rush to change. At Port Stanley the seas were rough and there were delays with the tenders and still the evening was formal though many turned up in their touring clothes, rather than miss their seating.

Being retired we enjoy an excuse to dress. My husband's even going to bring his kilt -- which uses a fair bit of our weight allowances -- for the next cruise. Since he's the male peacock I dress in PLAIN and subdued outfits.

I can't imgine that any line would fuss about dress, counting on peer pressure to get the protocol set. They want our business.

Ruth
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM

I actually just came back last week (August 5th, 2007) from the Alaska Inside Passage cruise aboard the Celebrity Infinity. I also was very curious to find more stories about the ship and the cruise before I went. I found a couple articles but none of them really answered all my questions. I thought the same thing about the formal dress code but it turned out to be much more relaxed than advertised. But also think of if this way... how people around you dress really contributes to the atmosphere of fine dining. Since you mentioned dining was one of the things that matter to you on a cruise, you will surely find it positive that torn jeans and shorts are not worn at dinner. A couple nights, we wore dress shirts without ties on informal nights where jackets and ties are required, and no one said anything.

Here is my full write-up and cruise review with high-res pictures for Alaska's Inside Passage on the Celebrity Infinity:

http://www.kendrickli.com/travel-places-reviews/

Enjoy.

- K
Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM

K, very nice review of the Infinity. We were on it last in July 2001 for an Alaskan Cruise and will be on it again September 29th for a Panama cruise and it's good to know it's still a wonderful ship.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Khatsalano, I think you just sold me on our cruise destination for 2009. (2008 is already booked; otherwise, I'd do it sooner.)
Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the comments.

LisaP, hope you have a good time! I have my travel scheduled booked up for a while either so I won't be able to go on a cruise until 2009 at least either. Thinking Galapagos. : )

- K
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 AM

This is not an attack on the OP but it always amazes me at just how many people book X full knowing about the requested dress code but then are not happy with it and proceed to bitch about it and ask about ways of getting around it!!!

This is MHO you don't like it? DON'T book it!! It drives me mad that these people always put it in their comment cards at the end of the cruise. If you don't like dressing up go elsewhere and leave this line to those who like it the way it is.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

Hi K,
I read your entire listing and it was great to read something positive about thei Alaska trip. I have it booked for next June and took a Concierge class cabin. Thanks for all the info. Just ONE question. How many people did not wear jackets in the dining room. I won't wear a jacket on vacation. Celebrity said a collared shirt and dark pants is acceptable and I would not be asked to leave the dining room. Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Khatsalano:
I actually just came back last week (August 5th, 2007) from the Alaska Inside Passage cruise aboard the Celebrity Infinity. I also was very curious to find more stories about the ship and the cruise before I went. I found a couple articles but none of them really answered all my questions. I thought the same thing about the formal dress code but it turned out to be much more relaxed than advertised. But also think of if this way... how people around you dress really contributes to the atmosphere of fine dining. Since you mentioned dining was one of the things that matter to you on a cruise, you will surely find it positive that torn jeans and shorts are not worn at dinner. A couple nights, we wore dress shirts without ties on informal nights where jackets and ties are required, and no one said anything.

Here is my full write-up and cruise review with high-res pictures for Alaska's Inside Passage on the Celebrity Infinity:

http://www.kendrickli.com/travel-places-reviews/

Enjoy.

- K
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ftacher:
I won't wear a jacket on vacation. Celebrity said a collared shirt and dark pants is acceptable and I would not be asked to leave the dining room.
A collared shirt and slacks are fine for casual nights, of which there are three on a 7-night cruise. On other nights, Celebrity does request jacket and tie (informal nights) or dark suit, at a minimum (formal nights), and most passengers comply. Celebrity also requests that passengers remain dressed this way for the evening, not just dinner.

There is a casual dining option on Infinity, but it would be a shame to miss out on the fine meals in the main dining room or specialty restaurants for four nights of your cruise.

It sounds to me like Celebrity might not be the best fit. JMHO.

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, code, cruise, cruises, dining, dress, formal, infinity, jeans, night, pompous, roomsome, shipsno, vacation, wear