Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was Capt. Edward Smith at the controls of the Olympic when she collided with the Hawke?

Yes Penny he was.

The Olympic was blamed because of her large displacment and was said to have caused suction pulling the HMS Hawke into her. They had to take one of the propeller shafts from the titanic to fix her.

Also a little known fact is a woman named Violet Jessop was on board the Olympic when the collision occured.

Ironically She was also on the Titanic and survived and she was also on the Britannic when it sank and survived.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Penny I was mistaken about the number of casualties on the Nantucket Lightship.

There where 4 survivors out of 11 so there was 7 casualties not 4.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Penny, Olympic is among my favorites of the ships I've studied so far. I highly recommend the book "Titanic Survivor," the memoirs of the stewardess Edward K mentioned. Although it was written by Violet Jessop, it is often displayed with John Maxtone-Graham's works as he wrote the introduction and provided insight.

There is also a wonderful volume called "The Olympic Class Ships," by Mark Chirnside. It's very detailed and took me a long time to get through, but it was well worth it. I was impressed when I learned that Mr. Chirnside wrote this as a University student.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

Penny hope you enjoy the information.

I have enjoy coming to this site but have now chosen to leave because of the sarcasm by LisaP in another post.

If you can't discuss these things with out sacastic remarks I chose to go some where else a contribute and read!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the diversion, everyone. We've deleted inappropriate messages, made all the more so considering they were attached to a thread about the passing of a human being.

Back on track now...

I've been doing some reading the past couple of days about Ms. Dean and others who survived the Titanic disaster. Titanic is usually associated with luxury and the previously famous people who perished that night, and so I have long had an interest in the so-called everyday person who crossed the ocean. What was life like on the ship? What was the purpose of their crossing? Many, like Mr. Dean, were hoping to start a new life in America. My grandparents/great-grandparents did the same thing between 1900-1910. JillSC, it sounds like your family did, as well.

There were several Titanic survivors who lived very long lives subsequently, and I thank them for sharing their stories with us. Rest in peace, Ms. Dean.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 AM

I wish I had been able to find out from my grandparents who came over, when and how. I know my father's side came to Canada from Scotland or England. I know my mother's side came to the states from Germany, but I don't know when, how, or where they entered. My dad was a naturalized US citizen. They moved to the states when he was 12 because his mother's health was failing. The doctor said she needed a warm climate. They moved first to California, then Florida where she passed away. My great grandfather was a mayor in New Jersey, so I'm not sure how that worked. I know that it was my great grandparents that first came over, but when I don't know. I'll try to find the books that you mentioned, then try to find the time to read them. This dang work thing gets in my way

Closed Thread

Tags
1911, cruise, ship, sink, sinking, titanic