Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 02:57 AM

In regards to the Regal Empress....her days are numbered too. It's already known that she is not going to be able to comply with SOLAS 2010. See her while you can because in two years she'll be making that all too familar trip to the beach.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
If the Independence and the United States are scrapped... I hope the publicity from this will sink NCL as well.
Unfortunately, NCL has received a $1 Billion investment from a private equity group.

They might have quietly gotten rid of the SS Indy, but they will have one hell of a time getting rid of the SS United States. That's the ship where all eyes and ears are on.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 AM

Dan,

Although I fear for the well being of the SS United States, one thing that will work in her favor is the PBS documentary that coming out next year. If that doesn't draw attention to her plight, nothing will.
The scrapping of this ship would surely draw large negative publicity for NCL.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 AM

I've been trying to persuade the United States society people to let me get on board the ship to make a virtual tour - even if it just means that the ship is recorded for posterity in her current condition but I've had the devil of a job trying to get my ideas over to them. I've been working with the WAVERLEY people on making a tour and so far I have the basic outline on here www.virtualplaces.co.uk. The CD tours would be much more in depth. Ideally I'd love to do the France/Norway and old QM1 but I'd prefer to start with ships which I can get access to but which are under threat.

I'd hope that maybe there was enough interest out there to justify this.

Any thoughts who I can turn to to ask for permissions (its all self funded so I'm not looking for money - just access)

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Sorry - the specific link (with java needed) is
www.virtualplaces.co.uk
Old 08-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Here's a question maybe someone could answer.....the SS United States is on the register for National Historic Places in America....is that any kind of "muscle" or leverage to keep her from getting scrapped? I know this title mostly applies to buildings and parcels of land which obviously can't be moved but what about the ship? If NCL throws in the towel will the government step in? If anyone knows please advise.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 PM

I really hope that this landmark does not go to the breakers...surely there must be some form of protection in place?
Also - any ideas about getting access would really be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 PM

Let's make sure that NCL/Star Cruises doesn't do the the Big U as they did to the SS Norway.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:32 AM

You're very right, redlinekid2! Reuben has set up a contact page for US senators etc.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/SS-United-States-contacts.htm

please let's all help! We don't want to see her end the same way as the Norway! It's not too late for her yet!

http://www.ssmaritime.com/SS-United-States.htm
Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 AM

I wonder if the PBS documentary, "SS United States: Lady in Waiting" is going to draw enough needed attention to this ship to prevent it from being towed by NCL to Alang.
The one hour documentary, shot in High Definition is due to start airing in May on PBS stations throughout the USA.

Tags
carnival, clark, drydock, nashville, ncl, refurbishing, reviews, ronald, schedule, scrapping, ss, states, triumph, turbine, united