Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
At least with the SSUS being gutted-it would be a lot easier to add fully equipped heads to larger sized staterooms! She remains a true beauty even as she appears today - a real Eagle of the Sea!

BillyBuzzy
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM

The SS United States must not be allowed to follow in the SS Norway's footsteps to the scrapyard. It's bad enough losing the SS Norway, but to see the Big U gone would be too heartbreaking.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 AM

I don't think the potential scrapping of the SS United States is to be totally unexpected news...it's been rumored for years.
However, I think its shameful for the United States of America to let a ship, which carries our country's name, a ship which epitomized grace, beauty and speed, go to the scrappers.
Maybe this ship could be restored using the same basic motivation and publicity as the restoration of the Statue Of Liberty.
Maybe restoring this ship could instill some of the same pride in the USA, as the space program once did.
It sure as hell would create needed jobs.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM

This is truly sad news. This is most likely then the beginning of the end of this beautiful lady. Like the Norway, if a major corporation like NCL can't afford to do anything with the ship then how can anyone else afford to do anything? With money being so tight nowadays how can one afford the enormous amount of money needed to restore her.

All we can do is hope for a miracle but in reality...in two or three years we are going to see this great ship on the latest pages of Peter Knegos ship's at Alang.

A damn shame indeed.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 AM

It was announced yesterday that Star Cruises, parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line has disclosed that the SS United States will only be sold to a U.S. buyer and will not be sold for scrap.
So...this gives those trying to save her a little more breathing room...but for how long.
This isn't an indefinite offer and it's a long and expensive road to save her.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sky KIng:
It was announced yesterday that Star Cruises, parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line has disclosed that the SS United States will only be sold to a U.S. buyer and will not be sold for scrap.
So...this gives those trying to save her a little more breathing room...but for how long.
This isn't an indefinite offer and it's a long and expensive road to save her.
Until the ship is saved, assume that Star Cruises will sell the Big U to the shipbreakers in Brownsville, Texas. Star Cruises will treat the Big U in the same manner as the SS Indy and the SS Norway.

It just saddens me that the following ships are gone:

SS Topaz
SS Norway
TS Maxim Gorkiy
MS Regal Empress
SS Britanis
SS Southern Cross

I was hoping that most of them would have found a second life as a hotel ship. In 1998, I had a list of 10 vessels that I had wanted to see follow in the Queen Mary's footsteps as hotel/museum attractions in a major city. Of all the ships that were on my wish list, only the following has happened, with three pending:

SS Rotterdam V
QE2
MS Kungsholm-Pending
SS United States-Pending
MS Augustus-pending

What a crappy year it has been for the last classic ships, on top of the financial crisis, which killed the Maxim Gorkiy's chance to be the flagship of the Orient Line.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Sorry to say this guys, but why would they do anything to save SSUS, whats the point, when they had Norway they were streets ahead of the PLASTIC SHIP competition on offer today and they didn't even know it, ......... BAD MANAGEMENT ........ you know what i mean, a little bit of money would have saved an Iconic and incredible, NO, THE CRUISE SHIP--- the first in her class, she started a trend and was the best I have ever sailed on, their current boats and I said boats are in my opinion are nothing more than a sham, SSUS was just used to secure routes due to her origin and just used as a means to an end and will never be restored and also end up in the same place , probably Alang. This is my opion of the current situation.........PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE
Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Paul Motter has just posted a new article about the SS United States here.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Urgent: reports say the current owner of the SS United States is soliciting bids for scrapping after failing to sell the ship to other interests. Read HERE
Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Dave
Do you know if they have a facebook fan page? And if not, how to set one up? It seems like social networking is a great way to accomplish things like this.
Marsha

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers

Tags
carnival, clark, drydock, nashville, ncl, refurbishing, reviews, ronald, schedule, scrapping, ss, states, triumph, turbine, united