Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 PM

My heart goes out to the SS United States. I certainly hope that this ship doesn't get a one way ticket to the scrapyard. I don't believe that NCL will ever fix up the Big U, as far as returning to service is concerned.

As for the SS Norway, if the ship is saved and restored back as the SS France and does very well as a Museum/Hotel ship in France, then its example will certainly apply to the Big U.

Here's hoping that 2007 will be the year that the 2 Great Ships of State will follow the SS Rotterdam's lead and serve as a monument for their respected countries.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM

Heers 2 That!
Redlinekid, as we have learned from the Queen Mary the musium shouldnt compinsate for anything, she had her boilers riped out, much of her engines where her current musium is now, For SS Norway or SS United States a good musium would be a the ships boilers, some of the engines, looking down at the bilge (display, im not sure if this would be allowed, Crews rooms, the bridge and the list gos on. As we discussed earlier the ship could remain with its engines for refit and travel independantly. I told my idea of how the SS Norway could work on page 170something on SS Norway Latest and I believe this could be used on SS United States aswell.
Many have said SS United States cant make it because of its small rooms often without real ensuites but u could always convert 2 to 1 or 3 to 1.
7 has always been my favourite number!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 AM

I believe this will be the year that NCL does something with the SS United States. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be a positive move.
After the fiasco with the SS France/Norway and for positive public relations, I think NCL will offer the SS United States for sale. Sadly, I feel few if any realistic offers will be made and then she'll take her final voyage to Alang.
What we need here, is what I stated in an earlier post. We need a national movement here in the USA to save this ship with our country's name. A movement similar to one Lee Iaccoca headed with the Stature of Liberty restoration effort in the early 1980's.
It would be a sad state of affairs if we the citizens of the United States, let a ship with our country's name on it end up at the cutter's torch on the otherside of the world. Imagine the headline..."United States headed for scrapyard." What fun other countries would have with that somewhat ironic, headline don't you think ?? What would that say about us ??
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 AM

ok, lets do something!
Lets regester a domain name for a website, regester our company, go out to various events, streets, beaches, tourist attractions recruiting, go out to busineses for sponsors, speak to company and corporate manages stating the story and getting corporate sponsors, take donations, online donations, discuss with shipyards refit opportunities, and try to do this! If it all falls through we can keep running, return donations and pledge awareness about the ocean liners of old. So lets do it, first we need to regester a website and regester a company
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM

There are already two organizations that have done this, with each having a different objective. I personally feel the best option right now is to voice support to NCL who is currently paying for her to sit idle every day. With a groundswell of support from the public, the project may be more feasible. It would be a great public relations rebound for the Norway disaster.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Just to let everyone know, contrary to what was reported, NCL doesn't OWN the SS United States. The ship is being leased to NCL by the Cantor Estate. Everything that NCL said about owning the Big U is a lie. The same lie that was said about the SS Norway.

What needs to done right now is to encourage the SS United States Foundation(Robert Westover's Group)to talk to corporate investors about buying the ship and to convince them that the ship would be a viable business venture.

That should be the focus right now for the ship. The SS United States Conservatory can't be relied on at this time because they believe in their hearts that NCL will put the ship back to service.

We should follow the example of the SS Rotterdam Foundation as well as the Association of the SS France, who are doing something about saving the SS Norway from that dreaded Alang beach.

Maybe someone should contact Mr. Lee Iaccoca about helping our cause to save the SS United States. Contact the SS United States Foundation about this idea. The time to save the Big U is now. Not while it's on its way to the scrapyard.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Lee Iacocca would be a great headliner for any efforts for sure. I just cannot understand why NCL would be paying the expenses to let her sit there, on top of whatever leasing/options payment they make to the Cantors. Surely the difference between NCL's option price and the potential scrap value would not be a large enough profit to endure the PR nightmare of scrapping her. Regardless, you are right the time is now to be vocal.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Hi,
For anyone who understands the French language, could you translate the following link, since the letters are photo copied. It's a reply from the French Government regarding the SS Norway:

http://www.revedefrance.com/nouvellepage2404.htm

This site has a lot of good information about the ship's history.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Dan-- Please see my response to the revedefrance letters in the "Norway" forum. Marty
Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Hi Marty,
I posted that message by accident when I first posted it. So I transfered it to the SS Norway forum. Sorry about that.

Tags
carnival, clark, drydock, nashville, ncl, refurbishing, reviews, ronald, schedule, scrapping, ss, states, triumph, turbine, united