Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 AM

see NCL doesnt own her.
Thanks again Redlinekid2
ok, lets do something!
Lets regester a domain name for a website, regester our company, go out to various events, streets, beaches, tourist attractions recruiting, go out to busineses for sponsors, speak to company and corporate manages stating the story and getting corporate sponsors, take donations, online donations, discuss with shipyards refit opportunities, and try to do this! If it all falls through we can keep running, return donations and pledge awareness about the ocean liners of old. So lets do it, first we need to regester a website and regester a company.

So tncruiseman, it looks like ur in. Lets do it. The time is now vocal!
Talk to Lee Iacocca (email) but im going on holiday to Qualar Lumpor for a week, but ill try to get on as much as i can. Tncruiseman, we need to get this planed, i emailed the ss united stantes conservancy and they say they will be behind me and they are sending me deckplans ao i and us can review ideas.
See! We can do it
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Redlinekids recommendation to work with Robert Westover's group is the best approach over starting any new wesbites or additional fundraising efforts. Constant letter-writing to government officals cannot hurt, recommending a tax policy favoring the ship as a possibility, and also using her scrapping as slandering to our nation. Right now that probably wouldn't matter because Jimmy Carter and his cronies sold off the presidential yacht for pennies when he took office. Tax policy for this US flagged ship is the key to corporate involvment and Senators and Congressmen are where we need to start, especially with a few of them being fresh right now and wanting to make their mark.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM

thanks. e mail and lobby them and I shall do the same, can u possibly give me the email addresses of some of these people.
Iv been emailing shipyards such as newport news and the conservancy. As we said before we will need to advertise at entertainement events and streets and random places, yes ill start emailing the US government when i get back.
We need to register a company and do it carefully other wise will suffer like club france prestige did for unpropper regestration.
The conservancy says thell support the project and give us help and advice.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 AM

its sad about the Presedential yacht, The UK still have theirs, the Britania.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:16 AM

I don't believe that NCL will do anything to the Big U. Why should they? There are no indications that NCL is planning to refit the Big U. It that was the case, then why isn't the SS Independence sailing for NCL?

And I will have to disagree why anyone who says that the Big U will not do very well as a hotel/museum/hotel academy. This is the only option that will work in the ships' favor.

If NCL wants the Big U to sail in unique destinations, that itinerary should be given to the MV Pride of America. The SS United States interiors can be rebuilt to match the elegance of the SS Nuiew Amsterdam of 1938, but with a 1940s-1950s twist. It can easily become a 5-Star hotel on the NYC Waterfront next to the USS Intrepid.

The Third Class accommodations could be used to serve the interests of the academy students. The Third Class Cabins can be converted to college dorms and the Third Class public areas could be recreated as a part of a residential college, with its dining halls as eating areas and study sections.

The First and Second Class areas could be rebuilt into ultra luxurious suites and public places that would be at the level of the SS Nuiew Amsterdam.

The crew/officers cabin and public place can be rebuilt to its former glory, as well as all of the bridge and navigational/communications equipment that reflect the 1950s cold war era.

$400 Million is more than enough to make this dream a reality. What's so hard about that?

If NCL is not willing to do that, then my suggestion is to influence a major corporation to take a chance at it. The same idea that went into saving the SS Rotterdam V (and maybe the SS Norway) can be applied to the SS United States.

A Museum, Hotel Academy, and 5-Star Art Deco Hotel. While its not possible to recreate the original interior decour, it's possibile to create a new style that was originally found onboard the SS Nuiew Amsterdam, along with the best that the Big U once had.

For those who longed for the style and elegance of the SS Nuiew Amsterdam, the SS United States is a prime canidate for that as its interiors are stripped. This idea can work. Lets have an email campaign to encourage the SS United States Foundation to organize a public/private partnership to buy and renovate the Big U into the maritime gem that was ment to be.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 AM

Dan: In my eyes, the biggest mystery is why NCL bought Independence and entered into purchase agreement on SSUS in the first place, and still continue to pay for their layup and storage. They haven't placed the ships for sale. Could the profit from a future sale to the scrappers be enough to justify the current daily expenses? One day the mystery will unfold, or a bad business plan will be exposed. Hoping for the first, not the latter.

It would be nice to have a plan with potential investors in place when/if the opportunity arises and your ideas certainly would be feasible.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I recall the United States languishing at the pier in Norfolk in the early 80's. What a sad sight it was. I could see it from the deck of my ship in the Navy base. I remember an auction they had where all the "stuff" was sold. 1984 I think it was. Anyway, a couple of years ago I bought some items on eBay. I have a life vest which is in great condition. I also have some water glasses and copies of some telegrams from the ship.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Here is one of the radiograms.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:20 PM

WOW! In the whole scheme of things, that message wasn't all that long ago! Technology is really amazing. I just wish I had had the opportunity to sail on this ship. I cannot imagine something that big going as fast as she could! My boat only cruises at 12 knots.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
Old 01-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tncruiseman:
WOW! In the whole scheme of things, that message wasn't all that long ago! Technology is really amazing. I just wish I had had the opportunity to sail on this ship. I cannot imagine something that big going as fast as she could! My boat only cruises at 12 knots.
Hard to beat steam turbines when you want speed in a big ship. As for technology - yeah, it is stunning to see how far we've come since 1968. I'm sitting here putting some files on a 2GB flashdrive that is the size of a house key. That amount of storage was unheard of in 1968, let alone the size.

I got to walk up to the SSUS at the pier once. Me and my buddies ran into a Polish seaman in a bar and gave him a ride to his cargo ship, which happened to be near the SSUS. I really wanted to board her and check things out, but obviously that was out of the question.

Tags
carnival, clark, drydock, nashville, ncl, refurbishing, reviews, ronald, schedule, scrapping, ss, states, triumph, turbine, united