Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhein:
Hi Ron Clark,

although I know there is no historical relation between Miami and the Independence, my idea was to search for a city, where a lot of cruises start and end. And nowhere else are starting more cruises than in Miami with Fort Lauderdale situated very close. Because it should make economic sense.

Other advantages for the cruise line(s) would be for example:

- binding the client to Your enterprise
- more cash for the enterprise, because Your customer doesn't need a hotel
- or You give the night as an extra bonus for people, that cruised several times with You....
And that's why I suggested Miami woould be a lousy place for a ship hotel. The pier you'll use to tie the hotel ship means one less pier being available to tie real cruise ships to.

The piers and cruise terminals are worth far more than the Independence is worth. Dodge Island only has so much room available for piers, and when they aren't being used by cruise ships, they are being used by container ships.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 AM

I know all said she was way to far gone for any other sailing, but lookig at those photos she look like she could make steam and sail , she really seems to be in good condition. The photographer said a Romanian crew was preparing her for the tow, why would Romanian be doing that if she's goinng to NCLs favourite destination Alang? Any news from Guam, how long before she gets there?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Here's an article from the Hawaii Reporter about the Indy.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....4-3fa589c89fbb

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM

After reading the article mentioned, I find it comical that no one knows the location of the ship..especially with all the satellite technology.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM

I agree... If the E.P.A is after the vessel, wouldn't they ask the armed forces or NASA to do a spy satellite search for the vessel? Then contact the U.S. Coast Guard or the Authorities of the country where the Constitution and tug boat are near and intercept the ship?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 AM

Under the Bush Administration, I doubt that the EPA will stop the tug boat that is taking the SS Indy to its final resting place. Otherwise, they would not have allowed the ship to leave the country.

I have no doubt that the same plan is in place for the SS United States as well. In addition, I fear that the Big U might leave the country before its documentary will air in May.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM

What does the Bush Administration have to do with the SS Indy or any other ship going to the scrap yard. I am not a political animal but I am sick of people blaming the Bush Administration for everything including the common head cold.

I do however love the old ships & the problem lies in with the owners of the ship & the owners of the SSUS doing the right thing and trying to keep these ships in service instead of using them as pawns in their game of creating a US ship line.

Personally I would have thought that Congress would have asked for some garantees along the lines of - "yes you can form a US line, but you must put SSUS back in service...."
Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 PM

EPA just slapped a fine in regards to the SS Independence...

Here's the story...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../BREAKING03/80318043
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Excellent! Now, if only they can find her...

LisaP
Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 AM

Here's an update on the fines...

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/mar2...-03-18-093.asp

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, independance, independece, independence, oceaniac, oceanic, official, paquebotfranceusa, reviews, scrapping, ship, singer, ss, website