Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Hi

I feel that we need to begin discussions over the future of the SS Oceanic/Independence.

What does everyone see for her future? Buyers or the beach?

" Le paquebot France est lancé. Il va épouser la mer. (...) Sa mission sera de transporter d'un bord à l'autre de l'Atlantique des hommes, c'est-à-dire des pensées et des activités, des foyers de connaissance et des sources de travail, de l'art et de la richesse."

Général De Gaulle, le 11 mai 1960

Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM

I feel NCL will be selling the old girl at any price in the near future.

I've been informed that there is interest in purchasing this fine vessel.

" Le paquebot France est lancé. Il va épouser la mer. (...) Sa mission sera de transporter d'un bord à l'autre de l'Atlantique des hommes, c'est-à-dire des pensées et des activités, des foyers de connaissance et des sources de travail, de l'art et de la richesse."

Général De Gaulle, le 11 mai 1960

Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM

I certainly hope so. I have read from Peter K. for Maritime Matters that the ships' contents was to be removed from the vessel. But it was canceled. I wonder if the vessel was already purchased? The same group that you're in contact with told me that they wanted the ship as well. So there is still hope for the vessel.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Given SS Independence's recent departure, it makes sense to rejuvenate this thread, as updates will now become more frequent.

Here are a few links graciously provided by some of our members in the SS Norway thread:

http://www.mvariety.com/?module=disp...14&format=html - courtesy of MV Augustus

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/feb2...-02-12-092.asp

and

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-02-29-voa28.cfm - courtesy of MinotauronMauretania

My apologies to anyone I may have inadvertently omitted.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Hi,

hearing that the american cruise lines (except NCL) are making a lot of money, I cannot believe, that there is none of these enterprises able or willing to renivate or save this historic american ship??? What about using it as a hotel in the port of Miami eg for people who have to spend a night in Miami before or after their cruise?????????
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhein:
Hi,

hearing that the american cruise lines (except NCL) are making a lot of money, I cannot believe, that there is none of these enterprises able or willing to renivate or save this historic american ship??? What about using it as a hotel in the port of Miami eg for people who have to spend a night in Miami before or after their cruise?????????
Like where will they put her? Every pier in Miami is needed for "operating" cruise ships, at least once per week. Besides, this ship has no historical significance in Miami.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Rhein, I was thinking exactly the same thing, only for San Francisco...she's been a fixture there for so long, anyway.

Quite seriously, though, I had hoped to bring her home to Massachusetts. I was once in search of an organization to help with this effort, but I was not successful at that time. There was an organization that was trying to save the former shipyard where she was built, but they were not successful at that effort. I believe a car dealership will be located there.

Very sad news, indeed.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Hi All,

A gentleman by the name of Scott Haefner secretly boarded the SS Independence during the past few months and took some very interesting pictures both inside and outside the ship. Some of these pictures can be found at...

http://scotthaefner.com/surface/gall....+Independence

You can see in these pictures that the old girl is still looking pretty good despite her neglect by NCL.
Personally...I think she's on her way to the scrap yard. All this talk of a buyer reminds me of all the false hope we were given with the SS France/Norway.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhein:
Hi,

With the refurb, maintenence, opperating costs and other factors most older ships simply don't make economic sense vs building new state of the art ships that the masses of the cruising public will spend more each week to fill. With cost higher and revenues lower, there is a reason NCL and all the other lines are continuously modernizing their fleets and buiding new ships that have lower overhead, stabelizers, better facilities for childrens progams and fittness, etc. There is emotional and historical value in these ships but when you have to answer to stockholders for your bottom line each quarter they just don't make good business sense to keep on the seas. If some historical society wants to raise and spend the $$$ required to keep them in shape that would be great. For a corporation to do so would be an irresponsible expense, not an investment. Those here wanting these ships saved should start a foundation and seek philanthropists and common folks who care enough to cut a check to save them and bring them back to their glorious pristine condition and keep them there.

Cheers, Neil
Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Hi Ron Clark,

although I know there is no historical relation between Miami and the Independence, my idea was to search for a city, where a lot of cruises start and end. And nowhere else are starting more cruises than in Miami with Fort Lauderdale situated very close. Because it should make economic sense.

Other advantages for the cruise line(s) would be for example:

- binding the client to Your enterprise
- more cash for the enterprise, because Your customer doesn't need a hotel
- or You give the night as an extra bonus for people, that cruised several times with You....

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, independance, independece, independence, oceaniac, oceanic, official, paquebotfranceusa, reviews, scrapping, ship, singer, ss, website