Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Classic Ships Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/classic-ships-chat/)
-   -   'The Love Boat' headed to the scrap yard (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/classic-ships-chat/37936-love-boat-headed-scrap-yard.html)

Dave 03-08-2012 02:15 PM

'The Love Boat' headed to the scrap yard

USA Today is reporting the original Pacific Princess has been sold for scrap. The USA Today Story

f-mattox 03-08-2012 06:47 PM

I know this is the ultimate fate of all ships, but Pacific Princess and Island Princess were the first two ships I was on and like they say, there is always something special about your first love. This really breaks my heart.

Dave 03-09-2012 02:53 AM

And by all accounts both ships were well-built and reliable. One only need look at their lengths of service as proof.

penny3333 03-09-2012 08:53 AM

You'd think after all the money the "Love Boat" made for the cruise industry, someone would step up and restore her. But, alas, she gets scrapped. I remember seeing her in San Juan. I thought to myself, "one day I'm going to sail her". I never was able to, but all the Princess cruises have been wonderful. It's sad to see her go.

Dave 03-09-2012 05:31 PM

I saw the Island Princess many years ago in Curacao, when Love Boat was airing, and thought 'wow!'

They are selling her for an unsettled 7 million dollar debt. The cruise industry as a whole probably got the equivalent of a billion dollars in free advertising from this ship and the TV show. You'd think someone would step up and say 'hey, that is a cheap price to keep an icon of cruising intact'.

Frase 04-08-2012 02:44 PM

"The Love Boat" TV series along with The Pacific Princess and the Island Princess, played a very significant role in the popularity and sucess of the cruise industry..IMHO. You would think it would be proper to keep The Pacific Princess afloat in some form; even if as a floating museum/tourist trap.

GREGGS007 05-12-2012 09:41 PM

Pacific going to be scrapped

This was a shock, the way the auction went it sounded shady to me, and nobody appealed the decision. this ship made the cruise industry. To let her go to a torch and Turkey has no connection to this ship period, why were they allowed to bid on her is beyond acceptance. unless this ship is in really bad shape. but nowhere was it advertised that is was being auctioned off. someone in the usa would have bid on her if we knew that day and time. i hope someone steps up and goes to cemsan and offers them something they cant refuse. restore her and bring her home to the Pacific Coast where she belongs, if they can save the Queen Mary they should save the Pacific...hands down....there is a petition online to save her, only 61 signatures have signed..I wish this site would get everyone to sign they need 10000 signatures thats it....

Redlinekid2 05-14-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGGS007 (Post 293612)
This was a shock, the way the auction went it sounded shady to me, and nobody appealed the decision. this ship made the cruise industry. To let her go to a torch and Turkey has no connection to this ship period, why were they allowed to bid on her is beyond acceptance. unless this ship is in really bad shape. but nowhere was it advertised that is was being auctioned off. someone in the usa would have bid on her if we knew that day and time. i hope someone steps up and goes to cemsan and offers them something they cant refuse. restore her and bring her home to the Pacific Coast where she belongs, if they can save the Queen Mary they should save the Pacific...hands down....there is a petition online to save her, only 61 signatures have signed..I wish this site would get everyone to sign they need 10000 signatures thats it....

Such a shame that the original Love Boat is going to be scrapped, just like the SS Norway. And the SS Norway was the first mega cruise ship. I think that we can all agree that if NCL had replaced the ship's steam boilers for diesel engines instead of those upperdecks in 1990, as well as a complete replacement of the ship's plumbing and electrical systems, the SS Norway would still be sailing to this day because the engine disaster would not have happened.

Titan1954 06-17-2014 10:49 AM

I remember seeing a special on TV about Pacific Princess when she was about to go to the scrappers. What amazed me as I watched that special was that she seemed so huge and massive on the TV series, but seemed so much smaller on the news special.

It was Pacific Princess on the TV series that opened my eyes and heart to view cruise ships as ships ... until then, I had been a classic ocean liner purist and had previously viewed cruise ships to be nothing more than over-sized yachts on steroids.

While I still prefer the classic ocean liner, I now look at cruise ships with admiration and respect ... all because of Pacific Princess. :)

Dave 06-17-2014 12:04 PM

I guess you follow Maritime Matters, and in particular Peter Knego.