Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 AM

Default Is it now safe to say the the classic oceanliners are extinct?
From 2000 to the present, we have witnessed the onslaught of the classic oceanliners. With the SS Oceanic quickly gone, there are so little to choose from as far as preservation goes. I suppose that we can blame the Asbestos insulation for its demise, in the case of the SS Norway. Who was to believe that the installation of the Asbestos would prevent a would be savior from obtaining some of the classic oceanliners of the post WWII. The SS Rotterdam was certainly a learning curve for all of use as the cost of removing the Asbestos caused the initial budget of the ship's renovation to go from 6 Million Euros to over 250 Million Euros.

I sometimes wonder how things might have been for the SS Norway is the asbestos was never onboard the ship to begin with?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator

They all do seem to be gone. However found this yesterday.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
What about the SS United States ?
Since 1996 she has been docked at Pier 82 on the Delaware river.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Administrator

The ship has it's conservancy, but the news never seems to move much beyond a lot of cheerleading.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Administrator

The Conservancy is doing some good work. Yet, we all know that the ship will never sail again. I hope the ship is saved, somehow, and in a more meaningful place to her past passengers than what happened with QE2. At least we have QM2, a modern ocean liner.

I'm about to start a book on the ship's architect, William Francis Gibbs, and how he brought the SSUS into being. I'll post my thoughts once I've completed the volume. It's received rave reviews from others.

Tags
moehobbiinfo