Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Classic Ships Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM

We seem to have a great number of history buffs on this site. I thought it might be fun if we could share the history of some of the ships we may have sailed on. Here are some I've sailed on that I don't know what happened to them: NCL Sunward, Skyward, and Seaward. Royal Caribbean: Royal Viking. Carnival: Carnivale and Mardi Gras. Costa: Daphne and CarlaC. If anyone knows where they are now, I'd love to hear about them. If anyone has some they'd like to add, please do.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

The first ship I sailed on was the Stefan Batory,all kinds of memories here.
http://stefanbatoryoceanliner.homestead.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Penny, if you can locate a Jan.-Feb. issue of Cruise Travel magazine for this year, they have a directory of just about every ship still afloat. It takes a little digging for the older ships; they are listed by current name, then work backwards; but you should be able to find them. I've seen several websites that do something similar; if I can locate them again I will post them.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
This site has a list but you need to have the current name or you can just go through them all:
cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/former_ship_names.asp

Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Carnivale - Beached at Alang, India July 4, 2008.

Mardi Gras - Sold for scrap in 2003

Skyward - In 2000 became the Leisure World for New Century Cruise Lines.

Seaward - Went to Star Cruises in 2005 and is sailing as Super Star Libra.

Sunward - Original Sunward (1966) was scrapped in 2004 at Chittagong,Bangladesh. Sunward II (1971) went to Louis Cruises and became the Coral. Sunward (1991) - Went to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines in 2005 and is now the Boudicca.

Daphne - Became Princess Daphne and is currently chartered until 2010 for Hansa Kreusfahrten.

Carla C - was destroyed by fire in March 1994 while sailing as Pallas Athene under Epirotiki Cruise Lines. She arrived at the Aliaga Company Scrapyard on December 25, 1994.

Royal Viking - Not sure if it's the same one, but there's a Royal Viking sailing the Nile.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Great thread, Penny!

Our first cruise (1990) was onboard Premier's Star/Ship Atlantic. She had started out with the famed Home Lines in 1981, also named Atlantic. She was sold to Premier in 1988, becoming part of their then-three-ship fleet. (She was never given a Big Red Boat number.) Premier sold her to MSC in 1996, and she continues to sail as Melody. You may have seen her in the news lately as the passenger ship that thwarted a pirate attack.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM

How do y'all follow all of these ships? I know they are sold to other lines, lines go under, etc. The Royal Princess was formerly an Oceana (?) ship, something like that. They were numbered, our cruise director told us which one the Royal was, but dang it, I forgot. Should have written it down.

The original Crown Princess went somewhere as well as the Pacific Princess, but again, I forget. The Holiday is going to Spain(?)
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM

The Royal Princess was the R Eight, and then Minerva II.

The Pacific Princess of 1971 is now the Pacific, marketed by Brazil's CVC in winter and Quail Cruises in summer.

The Holiday will become the Grand Holiday and sail under Iberojet in November 2009. The Celebration also is under Iberojet as the Grand Celebration.

Crown Princess (1990) is now the Ocean Villiage Two under Ocean Village. It's scheduled to go over to P&O Austrailia in 2010.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM

I spent some time on the cruiserver site yesterday, then googled pictures from some of the older liners. I so remember the cranes on the front, the gangways that came out of the side of the ship for all ports, the old lines, there were even some pictures of the interiors. All the dark colors and woods, such rich elegant appointments. Then compare that to a Royal Caribbean interior that looks like you never left downtown Miami or New York. Or a Carnival interior that will definitely wake you up. Or a Costa interior that will turn your head more than once. The Neiuw Amsterdam didn't look like what I remembered sailing on. We left out of New Orleans on that cruise, so she must not have been that big of a ship. She couldn't have made that u-turn. I don't remember is she used tugs or thrusters, I'm inclined to think thrusters.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Sailing the Royal Princess in July to the Holy Land from Rome. Hope she is still in good shape.I have one of the front suites, I've been told that wind can be a problem, hope that this is not true in the Med.
This is one of the old R ships.Penny B have you been on her.
Thanks
FC

Closed Thread

Tags
anymore, cruise, daphne, destiny, existence, history, holylandcruisereviews, is, older, powered, princess, rccl, ship, ships, sun, thomson, viking