Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Travel Forum (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/disabled-travel-forum/)
-   -   New cruiser....old knees! Help! (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/disabled-travel-forum/12466-new-cruiser-old-knees-help.html)

linda128 11-05-2007 07:03 PM

I'm sailing on 11/18, Navigator of the Seas, w/ my able bodied husband and our two teenagers.

I am awaiting double knee replacement surgery sometime after the cruise. I have difficulty standing for any length of time, over about 5 minutes. Any tips? If I am using my cane and there is a line for something, is it kosher for us to ask to bypass? I admit I'm worried about getting around this huge ship, not to mention getting off and seeing the sights. We are avoiding renting a scooter because of the cost. Thanks for any insight! This site is awesome!

Jim C. 11-06-2007 08:56 PM

You can "rent" a wheel chair (manual one) on board if you notify them in advance that you would need one. They hold a deposit until the end of the cruise. You could use that instead of trying to tough it out standing in lines. On CCL, they even let my mother in law take the wheel chair off the ship (maybe that was what the deposit is for??)

Most definetly, ask to be allowed to "skip" the lines. The crew are very understanding and will do their best to help you. You would not be the first passenger that needed the little extra help.

Berick1234 11-07-2007 04:29 PM

We've seen many wheel chairs on our cruises (a walker might be a cheaper alternative...I would use one if I needed it....The ship is a large area to try to walk around...plus there are some line problems with buffets, elevators, etc...but most people are understanding about letting scooters, wheel chairs, walkers move to the head of the line...use anything that will make your cruise a memorable one and have a Wonderful Sailing....

Bob E

TrvlPro 11-10-2007 02:08 PM

The cruiselines all have preferred vendors for medical supplies needed for your trip. Whether it's a wheelchair, walker, oxygen or whatever. The cruiseline doesn't provide these items except for pier assistance which is free, just have your T/A notify the line you need a wheelchair for embarkation or disembarkation and they'll arrange that for you as a complimentary service.

The two companies most cruiseline have on their recommendation list are as follows.

Cruise Ship Assist 1(866)889-8099
or
Care Vacation 1(877)478-7827

Both these companies rent the medical items and coordinate with the cruise line to have it delivered to the ship and picked up when you return from your cruise. You can also bring your own if you have it and wish to. Just check with the airlines about any restrictions or notifications required and notify the cruiseline that you'll be bringing it.

Cheers, Neil