Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Disabled Travel Forum
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2002, 11:58 AM

I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be the moderator of this area. I am Donna and I am both a wheelchair user and oxygen user. If anyone has questions about how to travel by wheelchair or if you need to find oxygen for your trip, I will be happy to help you in anyway that I can.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:58 AM

I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be the moderator of this area. I am Donna and I am both a wheelchair user and oxygen user. If anyone has questions about how to travel by wheelchair or if you need to find oxygen for your trip, I will be happy to help you in anyway that I can.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:35 AM

We will be traveling on Carnival's Spirit in October 19,2002 my mother doesn't use a wheel chair all of the time but is slow and has a hard time walking. She would like to have help getting onto the ship via wheelchair. Do you have any suggestions? Our ship leaves the dock at 9:00pm what time should we arrive? How do you get a wheel chair at the airport? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Lindalee
Old 09-24-2002, 12:23 PM

I can give you a few suggestions. First of all, ask the airline to reserve a wheelchair for you. They will have you stay on the plane to the end, and the porter will go in to get you, or if she is able, walk to the door of the plane and one should be there. I would suggest you reconfirm this when checking in, and also while on the plane. It doesn't always work like this, but hopefully it will. Of course, you would tip the porter accordingly. You didn't say where you're sailing from, and that makes a world of difference. Carnival is not noted to be the fastest for checking in. We sailed on the Spirit in April, and had many problems. Even though your mother doesn't want a wheelchair all the time, I would recommend that she use one. Surfaces are very slippery, and there were many people that broke arms, legs, ankles and feet on our 17 day cruise. Grandted, most of those were around the pool area which doesn't have non-skid surfaces, or enough hand rails, but also slippery stairs, halls, and bathrooms. I would reserve a wheelchair through Carnival beforehand. That way you can guarantee that they'll be one for you. As far as checking in, they don't have the signs to visible, but there is a special handicapped check in that should save you a considerable amount of time. What time does your flight get in, and where do you sail from? If I know that, might be able to give you better info about checking in, etc. Keep me informed, and I'll try to get back to you ASAP. In the meantime, reserve a wheelchair with both the airline and Carnival. Also, let me know the airline, as that depends on how far the porter will have to go, and can suggest as appropriate tip. Good porter's are worth their weight in gold. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 04:01 PM

Hi Sue, we will be flying Southwest Airlines and arriving at 1:50pm the boat (Carnival Spirit) leaves at 9:00pm. There is a group of 8 total that are meeting there and cruising together. Should we stick together when we sign Mom in at the handicap check-in or should we send just those that are in the same room or just one person with her? I tried to reserve a wheelchair for her a couple of months ago but Carnival said they only load you on the boat with them. I will try calling again. Did you like the Spirit? This is my first cruise and I tried to get the best I could, I want to make this a great trip I am always open for suggestions, Thanks Lindalee
Old 09-24-2002, 05:45 PM

Hi!
Still didn't say where you were flying into, as that would make a difference. I personally, as well as numerous others that I've spoken to did not like the Spirit at all, and wouldn't travel Carnival again. We've sailed Princess on many occasions, and just came back from a Baltic cruise on Celebrity Constellation. It's published now under the cruise review section, and might be worth downloading (18 pages long. I wrote it from a handicapped person point of view. It doesn't surprise me that Carnival wouldn't reserve a wheelchair for you. I personally, would just keep pushing. Depending on what time the ship is pulling in from the previous cruise, I would got to the ship right away, again a lot depends on what airport you're flying into, and where you're leaving from. Let me know, and see what we can work out. Too bad you're not going to be with us Nov. 30th, when we do a 10 day cruise on the Dawn Princess with a group of singles for our area. We're a bunch or 60's, and all married, but just tagging along. Keep in touch. Suzanne (Sue) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 05:53 AM

We are going to fly into San Diego. This is my first cruise so I really don't know what to expect. I am hoping for the best. We are a group of 8, 5 sisters, 1 Mom, 1 Stepmom, and 1 Aunt, we range in ages 31 to 51 (sisters) to 69, 73, 79. Some are coming as far as New England, and the rest are Arizona. This is the first time we left our husbands and kids and getting R&R. I am just hoping it will turn out great. I guess I just stress out a lot. Carnival said they would be happy to load Mom on the ship with a wheelchair. She does walk slow, but the doctor wants her to be walking. I am afraid if we get a wheelchair the whole time of the cruise, she will be just sitting in it the whole time. Is it hard to get around the ship? When you did your cruise on the Spirit, did you eat at the alternative resteraunt? Someone posted that you could eat lunch there and it didn't cost extra for reservation fees. Do you know if that is true? Thanks
Old 09-25-2002, 01:43 PM

Hi!
Glad I finally got back online. Printed out your questions so I can try to answer. Southwest is wonderful for wheelchairs in most locations, so ask for one as I mentioned previously. Call now, when checking in, and again on the plane. Also, ask for one at check-in to take Mom through screening, etc. It's a lot easier and there's special lines for wheelchairs. I generally tip $10, as it's worth it to me. I'm not sure how Southwest is set up at San Diego, but it's certainly nowhere near as big as Phoenix (which I hate). Airport and ship terminal are 15 minutes apart. Did you purchase transfers from the airport? If so, the Carnival rep will be be there waiting with a sign and then pick up your baggage, and they will transport to the ship for you. Keep medications, valuables, camera, and I always carry 1 days clothing with me. Keep that with you, as you might not see your luggage again for sometime. What time can you board, or have you even been told yet? I would get there as soon as possible, even a little before boarding time, to prevent the rush of people that will be coming in. Take into account, that you could have delayed flights, also. As far as eating in the alternative dining, that wasn't open for lunch on our cruise in April, and I would tend to think that they are more than likely refering to the normal dining room which is open for lunch on sea days, but not shore days. Can't believe that they would open the "fancy" dining room for free, when all they constantly do is push for signing up for the night meal at $25 extra. We never did it, as we just don't feel at that price it's worth it. It's not hard to get around the ship, just dangerous, with many people breaking arms, legs, ankles and feet on our April Cruise. I'm a retired nurse, and feel her Doctor, knowing the circumstances of this particular ship, would suggest a wheelchair. I would hate seeing an elderly person falling while on the ship. The medical facilities are excellent, but the fractures were set on land, at various ports in Costa Rica & Mexico. We live in Florida now, but used to fly Southwest out of Providence. Where are the New England people coming from? Anymore questions, just write. Take care! Suzanne [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 04:15 PM

I called SWA and they will have a wheelchair for her. I called Carnival and they already have a Wheelchair waiting to load her on the ship and said if she wants to get off at Cabo they will assist her, I think she decided to stay on the ship there anyway. I just talked to Mom and she said she doesn't even want to take a cane with here and she will be just fine. (although she insists on taking a wheelchair at the airport and sea world after the cruise.) Whatever, I give up. The NH crew live in Windham, Atkinson, Kingston and Derry, we used to live in Amherst. We used to live in Wayland and Hudson, Mass. Where did you live in New England?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:48 PM

We lived in Foster, RI, 20 miles West of Providence. Used to go to Derry for dog shows. Does Mom have an aluminum cane? I take mine apart and put into my large suitcase. Even if she doesn't want to take it, you take it along for her. Don't think the ship has canes. I do know they have crutches, and charged and charged a lot for them for the people that had sprains, and not the fractures that so many others had. My husband said he agreed what I previously said about the alternate dining room. Makes no sense that they would give you free lunch in a small area at that, where they're trying to push $25 dinners. Yell if you need anything else. Suzanne [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Closed Thread

Tags
forum, oxygen, traveling, users