Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Disabled Travel Forum
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Does anyone know if there would be anyone to hire on the ship, or in some of the ports (belize, cozumel,costa maya,grand cayman) that could help my husband push my wheelchair around to see some of the sites. We would be willing to pay (preferably someone from the rccl) to assist us, so my husband can also have an enjoyable time on our first cruise? thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 PM

My mom paid for me to go on the cruise with her son I could help her. I was more than willing to help her out. Had lots of help on the ship but the crew could not help us in port. They helped us on and off the ship at every port though and going through food lines or into the dining room.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 PM

where did you travel to ? Were any of the excursion's handicap accessible? thanks for any information..
Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM

We cruised to Alaska. We had no problem with any excursions. She can walk a little bit but is on oxygen and cant walk far. We did a whale watching trip, a trolley ride, a duck ride, the train in Skagway, and did a lot of shopping. Skagway was limited in ramps for their wooden walkways but we managed no problem. Where are you sailing too? By the way, we talked to 2 people who even had their motorized scooters with them. Planes do not consider them baggage so they can still be checked with 2 suitcases.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 AM

We are going on a Western Caribbean cruise to costa maya, belize, grand caymen, and cozumel. We have never been on a cruise before, so i am very nervous. thanks for any information..
Old 10-31-2006, 06:54 PM

Hey Moonster

I recommend that you rent a power chair for your cruise. It does not require anyone to push you and it gives you total mobilty on your own. They come with a power cord to keep them charged so you do not have to worry about a dead battery. It is a long walk or in your case ride from entry to the terminal to the ship and then to your cabin and when you disembark its just as long and you are normally tired from enjoying your cruise so much. The chair that I rent for my wife is compact and fit in the taxi drivers cab very easily. It also gives you the advantage to do things without your hubby...such as shop and sightseeing. The cost you will pay for the chair will definitly be minimal compared to the advantages you will enjoy, I promise.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews
Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM

I would NOT recommend a power chair or scooter for shore excursions outside of the USA or Canada. You will not find shore transportation with a lift in most places. You cannot easily get them into small cabs. And most of all, many cruise lines will NOT tender a power chair. In addition curb cuts and ramps are far and few between ashore. You can use a power chair or scooter on the ship, but bring a manual chair and someone in your party who can push it when going ashore.

I travel with my parents just for this reason...my mother uses a power chair full time at home, but we have a van with a lift. On cruises, with help, using the manual chair we can get up and down stairs and in and out of cabs and see what we want to see even if there are no accessible tours (very rare).

In addition, power chairs and scooters can breakdown. A manual chair is a good back-up. When we get on the ship, my dad takes the manual chair piled with our carry-ons, my mother drives her power chair, and I bring up the rear with our travel lift.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLD:
I would NOT recommend a power chair or scooter for shore excursions outside of the USA or Canada. You will not find shore transportation with a lift in most places. You cannot easily get them into small cabs. And most of all, many cruise lines will NOT tender a power chair. In addition curb cuts and ramps are far and few between ashore. You can use a power chair or scooter on the ship, but bring a manual chair and someone in your party who can push it when going ashore.

I travel with my parents just for this reason...my mother uses a power chair full time at home, but we have a van with a lift. On cruises, with help, using the manual chair we can get up and down stairs and in and out of cabs and see what we want to see even if there are no accessible tours (very rare).

In addition, power chairs and scooters can breakdown. A manual chair is a good back-up. When we get on the ship, my dad takes the manual chair piled with our carry-ons, my mother drives her power chair, and I bring up the rear with our travel lift.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

Should you cruise again, I would recommend a Holland America Line instead of Royal Caribbean for you.

Holland America Line has worked to make their ships (and many excursions) as accessible as possible.

However, for your current cruise I can't stress this enough... Make sure you and/or your travel agent notify the cruise line of your accessibility requirements. The cruise line is in the best position to tell you what can and can't be accomodated onboard as well as give you recommendations as to the type of wheel chair to bring and what their excursions can accomodate.

In addition if the line knows that you have accessible requirements that probably will play into things like your seating assignment at dinner and such...

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, chairs, costa, cozumel, cruise, cruises, excursions, hotel, lift, maya, port, ports, rent, scooters, wheel, wheelchair, wheelchairs