Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Disabled Travel Forum
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 AM

I am going on a cruise to Hawaii and would like to hear from someone who is disabled and what worked for them there, Hetty
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Hello hetty, and a belated welcome to cruise-chat;
I think a little more information would be helpful in knowing what kind of advice to give you: in particular, what ship are you sailing, which ports are you visiting, and what is the nature of your disability. If it's tendering you are inquiring about, Honolulu and Hilo are two ports where the ship will dock. Nawiliwili has a dock but there is only room for one ship, so we had to tender in when we were there in April. If you are confined to a wheelchair, rest assured that the cruise lines make every effort to accomodate such passengers. And there are plenty of shore excursions available for those with limited mobility.

As I say, give us a little more information and I'm sure you will get more responses.

Have a wonderful cruise.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM

My husband and I are taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii in April 16th I have M.S and I am confined to a wheelchair or scooter.
I wanted to know what was availabe to me and if anyone had any ideas what to expect.
I am sure there are lots of people in my position that are cruising. Hetty
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Of course the ship is very HC accessible so getting around will not present issues. The ports are a different story. Each port will have options for folks with mobility challenges and some options that will not work well. The excursions will all have a chart for how strenuous they would be but not specifics for accessibility of a wheelchair. For those specifics you'll have to discuss each one you're considering with the cruiseline direct or at the Excursion Desk aboard the ship. Hope this little bit of info helps and I wish I had more or better specifics for you.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM

thanks neil, any info is good,
we will be on the diamond april the 16th and i am not able to get a handicapped cabin so far! and i wonder will a normal cabin be ok for a wheelchair! I have M.S. so I am pretty well confined to my wheelchair.
and how is hawaii in general for handicapped.
and is there anybody handicapped that has been on the diamond (princess) hetty
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello again, hetty;

I guess I'm still not clear on your situation; you say you are on Diamond Princess on April 16 but you are NOT ABLE to get a handicap cabin SO FAR. Are you booked and hoping to get a handicap cabin? Or are you hoping to book a handicap cabin? As Neil pointed out, most areas of the ship are accessible. But a regular cabin will present some real problems; you probably won't be able to get it through the doorway while seated, and you definitely won't be able to get it in the bathroom--there is a very high threshold and barely room to turn around while standing. And unless you have a suite, I don't see how you can maneuver around the cabin.

I think you really need to get with your travel agent and resolve this as soon as possible; I don't see how you can do the cruise in a regular cabin. I don't say this to discourage you; I just want you to know that you need to be sure you have a wheelchair accessable cabin.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM

f-mattox warning is very good advice. you'll need an HC accessible cabin if you're confined to the wheelchair. They have roll in showers and turning radius for your chair in the stateroom and bathroom. Also wider doorways for both. Your T/A should be able to see not only if they have some available but also get with the Special needs Dept to see if any are presently booked to clients without such needs. They do book them on request to those without need but require they be advised if clients with needs book they'll have to give the cabins up for another equal or higher category cabin. They know who has what because of the forms they require for special needs passengers. Press your agent for some assistance in this. If they seem to not be willing or able, get another agent who is. You can, believe it or not transfer your booking to another agent or even agency at your request.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Hi yes we are booked and paid for, but on a waiting list for handicapped however I will call my agent ( we booked with vacations to go
I can use a walker for a few steps but that is about it. hope it all works out for us.
Thanks for all your help will be back with more questions. hetty
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Hi Hetty,

The agency you mentioned had a "Special Needs Dept." just for situations like yours. i'm going to send you a PM (private message) with the toll free number. I'm confident they'll be able to assist with your situation.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

thanks Neil,
I have been in touch with my agent and he tells me that princess have told him closer to the cruise date they move people out of the handicapped cabins if they are not handicapped. and will sort it out.
thanks for the number I will keep it and use it if need be.Hester.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, disabled, hawaii, princess, review, ship, travel, traveling, waitlist, wheelchair