Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Travel Forum (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/disabled-travel-forum/)
-   -   River cruises - Can they be done with people who don't walk really long distances? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/disabled-travel-forum/6172-river-cruises-can-they-done-people-who-dont-walk-really-long-distances.html)

waterart 09-06-2010 01:29 PM

Hi,

I want to take my dad on a river cruise, and am wondering if they can be done if he tires after a good bit of walking. I don't want him to spend the cruise feeling exhausted or being worried he can't keep up.

From my reading of these river cruise brochures, they seem to involve a lot of group walking excursions. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks!

alexandra cruiser 09-07-2010 07:19 AM

Good thing about them is, generally,,port in center or near to town...so can chosed to go on ship excursions,,or do on own,,at your own pace...some even divide groups into slow walkers,disabled,etc....have seen people with crutches,,and walkers...so should have NO problem...if he does,,can always take taxi,,or walk back to ship...if on bus tour with ship,,can just stay on bus till rest get back...many do...so its really up to each person as to amount of walking...worse case,,can sit on top deck and just watch scenery go by...a really great option...I ve done 8 or more of these,,,PS..do start with 7 day,,or less..to see if you like them...do a lot of research on cruiselines and itineraries before...can google each co..I like Uniworld,AMA,Viking,etc....loved Egypt,Russia,Portugal, and Castles of Germany,,,France,,etc....depends on your interests..let me know if I can help....

waterart 09-07-2010 05:30 PM

Thanks! I would be interested in knowing why you liked certain cruise lines over the others.

I think he likes great scenery, has a low tolerance for seeing church after church, or castle after castle. I think my dad is more interested in getting a flavor for places than in knowing them in depth - which is the way he used to prefer to travel.

alexandra cruiser 09-08-2010 06:49 AM

Just like any cruise,,,some ships offer better food,nicer rooms,better beds,new ships,,etc.....many things ,,not just one...really must research each one as I mentioned for what YOU like...for instance,if you re not taking shore excursions,,don t take ones that inc.in price,,,like Tauck....if you like hotel style beds,,not couch like beds,,,look at rooms and make sure what they offer...if your prefer buffet for breakfast and lunch,,,like free wine with dinner,etc....lots to check out....then itineraries,,,,who offers best deal to area you want..
Re...churches,etc,,,on tours,,,yes,many do inc.them,,,museums,etc,,,but can go in or just sit outside,,,,,just tell guide...you can then meet up with group,,or go on own,either back to boat,,or do rest of town on own....they ll give you a map of town,little history, and places to see each day...many options...good luck,,,and let me know if I can help again...think he ll enjoy it....

Cruise Fanatic 09-08-2010 07:53 AM

AMAWaterways, Avalon, Uniworld, and Viking River Cruises are the top players in river cruising. Tauck is also a player in the luxury category and has their own ships. They all include shore excursions of some type. Most of them are walking tours. As mentioned, if you don't want to participate just let the guide know so they aren't waiting. In Europe there are a lot of cobblestone streets, uneven payment, and inclines.