Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Disabled Travel Forum
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 AM

Hi Nancy

Sorry, I should have included the ports. They are as follows:
San Juan, Puerto Rico at 2pm
Philipsburg, St. Maaren at 8am
St. Thomas, USVI at 7am
Nassau-Paridise Island Bahamas at noon time.

Thanks for any info you may be able to share with us.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 AM

Hi Mabaird,
Luckily, the cruise ship will dock at each of these ports (no need to worry about the tendering hassles). Sometimes there are stairs to disembark - but, if there is not an alternate egress, the staff are wonderful about getting wheelchair passengers on and off the ship with ease.

As for excursions, each of these ports are relatively easy to visit on your own. There are some steep inclines and cobblestone walks in Old San Juan, but otherwise the terrain is fairly even and most sites are wheelchair accessible. Not knowing how mobile the 2 men are, I would hesitate recommending one of the cruise ship bus tours. But you might want to consider hiring a van (taxi) at each port so the 4 of you can take your own city tour - at your pace and to suit your interests. It is often cheaper and may make your visits much more pleasurable.

I would love to provide more detail, but need more information from you. What are your interests? Are you beach people? Just want to do sightseeing? Shopping?

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 PM

Hi Nancy

I guess sightseeing and shopping, although we have heard about a snorkling excursion which the guys may be able to participate in but we don't know too much about it.

Both men are Quadrapelegics but use manual chairs. They get around fairly well but transfering may pose a problem. I'm glad to hear that the staff are good to help with disembarking.

Thanks again

Marlene

Closed Thread

Tags
accessible, explorer, handicapped, reviews, seas, wheelchair