Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > Disabled Travel Forum
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM

Please answer my questions--I was thrilled to find this site! Mom requires oxygen and she has the large machine for room too---my dad has TERRIBLE knees that lock up and swell horribly but likely will have knee replacements prior to July 2, 2007 sailing on Enchantment of RCI. At present we are on 2nd deck regular interiors--worried about:

1. Enough space in room with mom's oxygen

2. Being on 2nd deck I realize there are elevators but I know there is long waits usually--how would this be for dad--would say 6/7 deck larger room be best!

Any help guys!! Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM

You mention that your parents and you will be in an inside cabin on deck 2. How many people will be sharing that space (2,3 or 4)? The inside cabins on Enchantment are a tad small (140 sq. ft.) and if it is just your parents, they would probably be okay. If there are 3 or more, I would consider moving to a larger outside stateroom - if at all possible. Or better yet, have you requested one of the 4 handicap accessible staterooms that are a category N as you are presently in (#2119, 2123, 3119 and 3123). Not only are they much larger (258 sq ft) but they are very close to the elevators eliminating the need to walk far.

I never found the elevators on the Enchantment to take an unusually long time to arrive and no matter what floor your stateroom, using an elevator is going to be necessary.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-27-2006, 02:42 PM

I called the TA today and she advises that the handicaps are all booked! I am so baffled with it being a year away! We are looking at moving up on ship and them going to balcony room--they will have the room with my 11 yr old nephew.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:17 PM

I just checked availability for accessible inside, oceanview and balcony cabins. There's good availability including three balcony cabins on deck 7. It may be that RCCL had the cabins temporarily blocked for some reason when your TA was checking.

Because your dad may not be comfortable on his feet for long periods of time, they might want to consider the accessible cabin because of the grab bars by the toilet and in the shower, the larger shower and the shower stool.

Whether or not they use an accessible cabin, suggest to your mom that they take a heavy duty extension cord. Also, they need to be sure they and their TA are on top of all requirements and details pertaining to the O2.

I've sailed on Enchantment twice and, like Nancy, have never seen an excessive wait for the elevator. But I do think deck 7 might be slightly more convenient for them.

Connie
Old 08-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Well we are looking at Deck 3 with mom and dad in cabin 3622 which is handicap accessible and oceanview--with the other 3 cabins on deck 3 and oceanview and 3 side by side--does that sound good?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 AM

I think you'll all be fine on deck 3. Where 3622 is located, there *might* be a little noise overhead for about 20 minutes after the one midnight buffet they offer as they move the tables and chairs around. It's just a chance (we could hear it on the inside port side) and definitely NOT worth reconsidering the cabin. Just an "FYI."

Connie
Old 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM

That little bit of noise should be fine! THanks---I didn't even think about the dining room being above us! Better than a lounge I guess!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Its tough arranging travel when you have special needs as well as desires.See www.seapuffers.com for travel for those with oxygen needs.
All the best!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM

We had to go through Care Vacations in Canada to get oxygen for HAL ship. The only company they will approve. The service we got from them was great!

Closed Thread

Tags
3622, accessible, cabin, enchantment, handicapped