Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM

We are spending a couple days in Miami after our cruise before flying out. Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay and what to do? We were thinking southbeach area but it looks really expensive!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 AM

South Beach is a great area, pricey yes, but fantastic. There's the Crandon Park Zoo, Villa Viscaya, Seaquarium, South Beach itself, and tons more.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Try the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. It's right across the street from Bay Side Market and close to the people mover.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Why don't you try Hotwire or Priceline? With both of them, Priceline and Hotwire you pick the city, and the quality of the hotel, you just don't find out the name of the hotel till after you book it. With Hotwire you get a little more info regarding the amenities, but you don't bid, you pay what they are asking. With Priceline, you only get to pick the area of the city, and the star level of the hotel. I have used both of them quite a few times. I have learned that when I bid on Priceline to bid on at least a 4 star or higher hotel. I bid on a 3* in New Orleans once, and was very unhappy with the quality of the hotel, and the reservation is always nonrefundable. So, I decided to call it a loss, and I rebid for a 4* hotel for that trip. I bid $50 a night, and the Marriott French Quarter accepted. I thought there was no way, anyone would accept $50 a night, I was thrilled and relieved. It turns out the Marriott French Quarter was under construction, and we never could tell, didn't see any construction. I used Priceline to bid on our hotel for our stay in Hong Kong. I bid on a 5* hotel on Hong Kong island, my bid started at $100 per night. You can only bid once every 24 hrs. Finally, after about a week I got my bid up to $200 per night. I usually increase my first few bids by about $20-$40 at first, if I think my bid is way too low. I finally got my bid up to $200, for a 5* hotel, and the Marriott accepted. I checked there website for the nights I book, and they wanted $398 a night. So I saved half, for an awesome hotel. Don't be afraid to bid a ridiculously low amount. Sometimes the hotels that accept your bid are under construction. The Marriott in Hong Kong will be completing construction (supposedly completing) just days before we get there. They probably want to fill up after remodeling, to get the buzz started on how much better the hotel is, that is my theory. Anyways, you can get an idea of what they consider a 4* and 5* hotel, my pretending you are booking a vacation package (flight and hotel) to South Beach/Miami. It will list the hotels, with their star levels. Priceline and Hotwire will only work for you, if you are willing to take the chance that a hotel is having some renovations going on, and you are willing to save some money, for booking a hotel before knowing the name of it. Remember, it is nonrefundable for both Hotwire and Priceline. Well, just trying to give you some options. Good luck, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM

I have used priceline many times. That was my plan, but i am having a hard time. I want to stay in south beach or miami beach but its hard to get anything for an affordable price in southbeach. What zones should i use for a re-bid i want to be somewhere by beaches and stores and restraunts things we can walk to and not spend lots of money on cabs, so wasnt sure what other zones would suffice?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM

They have some advertised for around $100. We stayed at The Palms and it was very nice, but I checked their rates and they've gone up quite a bit since we were there. The Whitlow is advertising for $105 Up. I did a Google Search on South Beach hotels and there was a site for South Beach hotels from $99. I don't know about the "zones".
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks. The other "zones I am talking about are Miami downtown, North Miami beach and was wondering if those are still fun areas to stay in or would i be spending money on cabs to get around?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:01 PM

They do have a decent bus system. North Miami beach is ok, but south beach is where all the renovations have taken place. Bayside is another nice area. Coral Gables used to be, but I haven't been there in ages. You DON'T want downtown!

Closed Thread

Tags
bayside, beach, bidding, cruise, days, holiday, hotel, inn, miami, places, post, priceline, south, stay, tour