Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm flying into St. Augustine Airport -

Is this area wroth spending two days in?
Is there a nice beach?
A Nice Hotel?

Or should I drive to Jasonville

I have never been to this area
Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM

So far, you've covered most of the east coast except for West Palm, Stuart, Jupiter, and a few other highlights in between. Are you flying into St. Augustine to catch a cruise in Miami? St. Augustine is one of the oldest cities in Florida. The St. Johns river runs through it. The lighthouse is a nice tour. It's a great town to visit, it depends on what you want to do. There are great restaurants all up and down the east coast. There are some really nice beaches. Daytona is well-known for being able to drive on the beach. It is a great spring break area. Ft. Lauderdale beach is where "Where the Boys Are" was filmed back in the 50s. South Beach in Miami has been reborn from a rather worn out area to a very vibrant area. West Palm is where all the money is. Sebastian inlet is a well-kept secret in Florida. Boynton Beach is a nice area. Boca Raton is a nice area. Pompano Beach is nice. Jacksonville is over grown, but it has some historical places. What are you looking to do?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Penny, thanks for trying to help me -
I'm just lost - I have never been to this area of Fl.
We are flying into St. Augustine Airport (on skybus - got my tickets $10.00 each way - The cruise is leaving from Jacksonville)

My trying to find the best area to stay in -
I have heard some bad things about Jacksonville -

Are there any beaches in St. Augustine?
We are mostly beach people. We are renting a car and wouldn't mind driving up to Dayton Beach. We will have two full days in this area.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Personally, I would prefer to stay in St. Augustine. Jacksonville is a big city with big city problems. There are beaches in St. Augustine, There's is St. Augustine Beach, the Anastasia State Recreational Area,Vilano Beach, Butler Beach, Crescent Beach, and Usinas Beach. You're about 40 miles south of Jacksonville in St. Augustine and about 50 miles north of Daytona. If you rent a car, it would be an easy drive. Silver Springs is about 80 miles away, a great place to spend a day. The lighthouse is a must see in St. Augustine. There are loads of good restaurants. They have train tours. The last time we were there, which was a while ago, we stayed in the Conch House Marina Resort. We rented a little efficiency. I think the Ocean Sands Beach Inn is still there,it was pretty nice. It was either on the shore or close to it, it's been a while. I'm sure there are other nice hotels there as well. There was a Ripley's museum there and some other attractions. It's just a much more mellow area than Jacksonville. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:39 PM
We stopped in St augustine on our way to Miami and it was a great trip.
They have a "hop on hop off train" around the town ...we stayed at the Country Inn & suites just outside of the downtown area. Lots to do & see.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, augustine, beach, beaches, boys, cruise, fl, forum, hotel, lauderdale, miami, problems, saint, st, ticket, tour