Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
We are sailing on the Valor in Nov out of Miami but we are flying into Ft Lauderdale. I am not sure whether to stay in Ft Lauderdal or Miami. I am very dissapointed to read the hotel reviews in Miami. Unless you are paying $400 + a night the reviews are all very bad from hotels being old and needing to be updated, to mold smells and bug problems. I know many people stay at Holiday Inn in Port of Miami and are happy with it but that hotel has bad reviews too and not just a couple.

I have found most of the hotels in Ft Lauderdale have good reviews and I particularly like Pelican Grand Hotel Resort. Prices are comparable to Miami but this hotel has exceptional reviews and offers oceanfront suites. If anyone has rented a car in Ft Lauderdale and drove it to Miami when you drop it off in Miami do they offer shuttle service to the Port? What car rental did you use?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
We are sailing on the Valor in Nov out of Miami but we are flying into Ft Lauderdale. I am not sure whether to stay in Ft Lauderdal or Miami. I am very dissapointed to read the hotel reviews in Miami. Unless you are paying $400 + a night the reviews are all very bad from hotels being old and needing to be updated, to mold smells and bug problems. I know many people stay at Holiday Inn in Port of Miami and are happy with it but that hotel has bad reviews too and not just a couple.

I have found most of the hotels in Ft Lauderdale have good reviews and I particularly like Pelican Grand Hotel Resort. Prices are comparable to Miami but this hotel has exceptional reviews and offers oceanfront suites. If anyone has rented a car in Ft Lauderdale and drove it to Miami when you drop it off in Miami do they offer shuttle service to the Port? What car rental did you use?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Hi SanDee, there have been many posts about the Holiday Inn in Miami and others about some in the Biscayne Bay area on this board. We stayed at the Royal Palms and the Palms in Miami. They are on south beach, they are older buildings, but have been quite nicely renovated. Granted it has been a few years since we stayed there. I like staying in Ft. Lauderdale because that is my home town. I've not rented a car to drive to Miami though. Try searching for Miami hotels and I'll bet you'll find some that are good. Best wishes.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
penny3333 thanks but I have searched for Miami hotels several times and unless it is $300.00 a night and more the reviews have not been good. I do not read alot into the reviews unless they all feel the same then I have to believe what they write is true. If we stay in Miami I think it will be the Holiday Inn as I read it is right across the street from the Marketplace with shopping and dining and 5 minutes from the port. If not there then I think we will stay in Ft Lauderdale where the reviews are much better and drive to Miami the day of the cruise.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM

If you do stay in Lauderdale, I can suggest a couple of places I like. The Renaissance is right across the street (17th Street Causeway) from Port Everglades and close to the intracoastal. The water taxi costs $10/pp per day and you can take it as many times as you want. If you like shopping, take one of the stops at Las Olas Boulevard. Lots of great shopping and some nice cafes. If you take the water taxi, take it all the way to the end. There are 2 great spots, Shooters for some great drinks and beautiful spot to watch the boats on the intracoastal, and Charlie's Crabs for some excellent food. There's also the Hyatt Pier 66 on the east side of the intracoastal. They have the Pier 66 bar and grill that is great for dinner. I'll warn you, the portions are not like on board. My husband had the stuffed shrimp appetizer and it could have fed both us us. I ordered a caesar salad and it could have fed a small army. Then I had the Florida stone crab claws, good night Irene, they could have fed an entire army. ChucksOK likes the Embassy Suite on 17th street Causeway, I've not stayed there, but it looks like a nice hotel. I have stayed at both the Renaissance and Pier 66. They were under $200 a night and very nice accomodations. The staff at the Renaissance were extremely accomdating. I also loved the garden rooms at Pier 66. They were renovating the Grand when we were down there last December, they may be done by now, but we haven't stayed there. I have also stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, years ago when it was just the Yankee Clipper. It was wonderful then, don't know about now. Hope this gives you a couple of options.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 AM

San Dee,
You might check with Alamo car rental.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM
quote:
If anyone has rented a car in Ft Lauderdale and drove it to Miami when you drop it off in Miami do they offer shuttle service to the Port? What car rental did you use?

I flew into FLL the day before my Victory Cruise. I did rent a car at the FLL airport and dropped it the next day at the MIA rental area. the MIA car rental is a large facility that is offsite, and did have a shuttle the the port. I drove to the port to drop off my luggage, and then dropped off the car, then took the shuttle to the ship. It was all arranged by my travel agent - they booked through Alamo.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruising, departure, flying, fort, ft, grand, httpswwwshuttle, lauderdale, miami, pelican, port, ports, stay, vs