Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 AM

@hbeck

From the Piazza San Marco:
Alilaguna runs a BLU Line express boat service between the Piazza San Marco and Marittima about once an hour during the daytime. The trip takes 20 minutes.Alternatively, you can take a water bus (vaporetto) to the Piazzale Roma and proceed from there by taxi ( about 5 Euro), (shuttle) bus, or on foot if you aren't traveling with too much luggage. The No. 82 express boat is quickest; the No. 1 vaporetto down the Grand Canal is handy if you've been staying near one of the intermediate stops.

For more information please click here.

A one way-fare with the vaporettos (water bus) costs Euro 5,--, a one day Travel card Euro 12,--. Here
you will find the fare page.

Ana questions?
Regards
Uwe
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM

@hbeck

If you are more familiar with a modern styled hotel than ancient houses, click here for the Best Western Cavaletto & Doge Orselo. 107 rooms , only 20 Meters behind the Piazza San Marco. It looks quite good. We have seen the hotel only from outside.
Regards
Uwe
Old 10-29-2006, 11:08 AM

The homepage of the Best Western Cavaletto... is here. Rooms from Euro 100 up.

Uwe
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM

We are going on the same cruise. We booked our air fare and hotels for both Rome and Venice through Europeon Destinations. (recommended on Frommers) It was quite reasonable and they will adapt the number days etc. to your requirements. It was the cheapest way to get 2 one-way air fares that I found. See you on the cruise!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:38 PM

bonnied......we ended up staying at the Comfort Hotel-Diana at San Marco Square and then at the Crowne Plaza in Rome (beautiful for only 113 Euro. I have put together Private Shore Excursions for my group of 38. I have extra space on most of them. If you are interested, and would like details and pricing, let me know your email address and I can email them to you. Would love to have you join us.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hbeck:
quote:
Originally posted by hbeck:
Ewe,
Can you give me an idea of how far the Cruise Terminal is from St. Marks Square? If we stay at one of the hotels in that area (and thank you for recommending several), is it easy to get to the Cruise Terminal? Do you have any idea how much it would cost? I want to give my group as much information as possible because most of them have never been to Europe before. And of course, this is my firt time to Venice as well.

Thank you for all your help! You really are an asset to all of us with so many questions.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM

hbeck
We went to Venice in May05 and used a private water taxi for 10 people and it was about 15eur a person. Our hotel gave me their number and I called the day before our flight and gave them our flight#/airline. I called when we arrived and they were there when we were ready to leave the airport. The same private taxi picked us up to go to the cruise port the next day and we also made a reservation for them to pick us up on our return from the cruise. We stayed at Hotel Al Piave, great small hotel go to their website and they were great communicating thru e-mail. The water taxi ride from the hotel to port was about a 15 or 20min ride.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Here is a link to the cruise terminal,
and this link will show you a map of venice. The cruise terminal is on the left sid (called Statione Marittima), San Marco is on the right side above the letter "V" from the word "veniceonline".
Regards
Uwe
Old 06-24-2007, 12:30 AM

@Uwe:

We have decided to meet other US-cruisers to show them Venice (although I have never been there... a blind leads another blind...).

Therefore we booked Santa Chiara Hotel for 150 EUR/night incl. private bathroom.

We can cancel it without penalty until the night before as we booked via http://www.hotel.de.

There were cheaper hotel - but mostly on Mestre side or much more closer to the Marco Polo Airport. But the savings in the hotel room will be compensated by the transportation costs.

Uwe - what do you think? 150 for Central Venice at Piazzale Roma is a great price - or???

Can I see the ships from this place? Or can you recommend a nice place to take pictures?

I have also checked the rates of LA CALCINA.

Do all ships have to pass this canal when they are entering or leaving Venice???

They want for the night about 200 EUR. Do you have a booking machine where you can get a better rate?

Would be nice to hear from you as Venice-expert.

Best regards,
HeinBloed
Old 06-24-2007, 04:59 AM

Hi HeinB,

Santa Chiara is the only hotel with a private garage. So if you will go to Venice by car, book this hotel. It is located some steps from the vaporetto linea uno (1). From the hotel you can take a taxi to Stazione Marittima (about 5 Euros). 150 is a good price.
Sorry, but from this hotel you may only see the ferrovia (main rail station) opposite and the Canal Grande but no cruise ships.

If your friends can spend a little bit more money, than book the Calcina. This beautiful hotel is situated at the Canale della Giudecca. If you book rooms with view to the Canale, than you can see all the big ships leaving Venice or on their way to the port. We had been in this hotel. Nearly the best location for shipspotters. In front of the Hotel there is a ponton, where you can take your breakfast.
Have a look on this hotelmachine. It is venere.com. Prices from 153 up to 250.
Coming to Venice by car, you need a parking area (is not cheap).

One of the best places to take pictures is the tower of the church S. Giorgio Maggiore on the Isola di S. Giorgio Maggiore. Look at the map. On the right side you will find the isle with the tower of the curch.
You can wtch the ships leaving the port (left side) and take pictures with the skyline of Venice in the background!

Regards
Uwe

Click here for the homepage of the La Calcina and the prices

Closed Thread

Tags
chiara, cruise, cruises, downtown, embarcation, good, marks, place, port, prior, santa, square, stay, terminal, venice