Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 AM

I am torn between the Best Western Oceanside and the Sleep Inn and Suites in Dania, for two full days pre-cruise in March. The Best Western will cost about 100.00 more for both nights, but I understand it is in a very nice area (I am aware it does not have an ocean view). However, with the 100.00 savings, we can rent a car and do whatever we want to do if we stay at the Sleep Inn. What is the area like in Dania? I have heard mention of Dania beach and am wondering if my fourteen year old daughter who will be with us would enjoy the Dania location as much as the location of the Best Western. Since I don't know Ft. Lauderdale that well, I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Dania is about 5 miles south of Ft. Lauderdale. The beach is nice, we used to go to the pier all the time. At one time, years ago, you could ride your horses there, that ended about 35 years ago, however. Ft. Lauderdale beach is much more known and has more restaurants/shops/bars than Dania. Down by the pier you can see the getties which is the cut-off to go into Port Laudania. You can see some fishing boats as well as some freighters. Down about 3 miles is Hollywood beach, that's pretty well known, not built up as much as Ft. Lauderdale either, but a nice beach. Like you said, if you save $100.00, you can rent a car and go to any beach you want. I truthfully think your daughter will like Lauderdale better, but you may enjoy Dania or Hollywood as it's less congested. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM

paigelee - We stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites in Dania in September of this year (pre-cruise). We really liked the hotel. We did rent a little car at the airport when we landed and drove all over the place. We went to the beach, Las Olas and alot of other sights.
Saving money - it's what I do best!!!
I can only tell you that we had a great time.

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM

We've stayed at Sleep Inn in Dania twice before our cruises and will be there again in March before another cruise. We like it. Its very clean. Nice breakfast is included. Great little family Italian restaurant across the street, with Walgreens next store. Great place to say for the money. We chose it for the free airport and cruiseport shuttle, and have been very pleased.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 12-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Of the two the Sleep Inn is nicer. It's newer, offers free transportation from the airport and to the cruiseport, nearby supermarket for those last minute items, nearby restaurant as well. The ocean is only 1.5 miles to the east.

The Bestwestern is an older property, built in the 50's. The furniture must be the original furniture from the day it opened. All of the entrances to the rooms open from the exterior. That translates into people passing by your room windows at all hours. The only nice thing about the property is it's proximity to the beach.

/////

Closed Thread