Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 03:30 PM
We asked for help from our hotel. They were very helpful trying to figure out trains and taxi's etc. Perhaps a local hotel near you could assist you.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:55 PM

Re. pre cruise hotel. we won't be with a car as we will be flying in from either Las Vegas or Phoenix for our cruise but I need to know if Newark is the best airport to be flying into and if so is a hotel at Newark a better option than near Bayonne? I need to book our flights so we arrive the night before departure but don't want to book the wrong destination airport then I need to book us a room near Bayonne so we arrive relatively relaxed. Difficult to know this from UK and never having been to NYC before. thanks to anyone that answers.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM

are there any alternatives to parking at Cape Liberty? And another question is what can we bring onboard.I get real stomach problems when I drink diffrent water & was thinking of bringing my own. Our last cruise was out of PR and saw people brining everything but the kitchen sink!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
[quote]Originally posted by JULIANNA:
hi everyone my cruise is getting closer which is on jan 25th 2008. i be cruising out of bayonne nj and i still cant make up my mind if i take the bus or the train to the terminal. i need help i be leaving out of springfield,ma. i dont know what train to take or bus. any suggestions? [/QUOTE
Julieanna-Entertainment Tours offers bus service (RT)from Boston and New Haven to NYC area ports. From Springfield I'd suggest Rail to New Haven (Contact Amtrack) and Bus from the station to the pier. We do that from central CT all the time! Try Enttours.com-it is very convenient,practical and financially reasonable!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Wyndham Garden Hotel - Newark Airport or the Sheraton Hotel - Newark Airport? Just curious about the quality... Also, as some others have mentioned, the condition of the area...

We're driving in from Michigan but both those places had free parking so we were considering those. We were looking for a higher-end hotel but not over-the-top expensive...

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM

I would think either of these hotels would be fine. I live in NJ and from what I know about Wyndham and Sheraton, they are not too upscale, but not the cheapest hotels you can find either. However, as people have mentioned, Newark Airport is not really in that great of a location, and signage in New Jersey is really tricky if you don't know where you're going. If you're an AAA member, I would get a New Jersey tourbook and look through that.

As a note to people, if you are flying in, try to avoid renting a car and driving to the pier or hotel. Instead try to find a hotel that has a shuttle, as leaving Newark Airport is VERY confusing if you don't know where you're going.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Michael! As a resident of NJ, are there any more upscale hotels you would recommend that might be close enough to the port to provide parking and shuttles?

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM

No, sorry, I'm not familiar with the area by the airport and Bayonne. To be honest, I only drive that way to go to Newark airport, but if you were looking for something on the nicer side, I might try the Marriott Newark Airport, or for less money the Courtyard Newark Airport. I don't know if they provide a shuttle to the port, but it may be worth looking into, as I know Marriott hotels are pretty nice speaking from experience traveling with family. The Marriott is more expensive, so if you're on a budget, I would go with the Courtyard. Also, Marriott hotels may provide shuttle service; you may want to check on this as I am not sure.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
We stayed at the Sheraton in Newark- (free shuttle from the airport to the hotel
there were four of us -the desk service was very helpful in calling a nice taxi service for us...(first class) they took us to the port I believe it was $45. The Sheraton has a nice restaurant inside. The rooms were cool overlooking the pool or atrium...they gave aaa discounts- very reasonable. We flew in a day early and took a cab from the hotel to the Penn Station and took it to Battery Park where we walked to the Statue of Lib ferry and went there....we also saw the WTC downtown NY and ate pizza!

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, bayonne, close, connecticut, country, cruise, cruising, inn, motels, nj, offer, parking, pier, port, service, shuttle