Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/)
-   -   Ft Lauderdale Hotel (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/18523-ft-lauderdale-hotel.html)

DSR 11-05-2010 10:37 AM

I'm now down to looking for a hotel in Ft Lauderdale - one that is close to the cruise port, airport - within a reasonable price.

Would any of theses work:
Sleep Inn in Dania
Comfort Inn Airport/Curise Port South
Comfort Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport West
Best Western
Sleep Inn
(I'm also open to others)

peter l 11-05-2010 12:21 PM

Hi again DSR. Since you are traveling in early Dec, you should find the prices much lower than we have when we travel in Feb or Apr during break times. I personally have not stayed at any of the ones you listed but am considering these as well. We have stayed several times in Fort Lauderdale prior to cruises and had taken the night before with RCI and found most of them to be very, very expensive but most enjoyable and 4/5 rated.
I have narrowed my search to Sleep Inn Dania as they provide transportation and breakfast but are away from most of the places we would like to do or see. This one has been recommended by many on this site. Others have stayed at the Comfort Inn's as well. I recently looked at Best Western on Sea Breeze Blvd, next door to the Hilton (formerly Yankee Clipper) as we had stayed at the Yankee before and liked the area.
So many that I would like to consider are just more than I would like to pay (in season rates)
in February. I think from what I have read, these are hotels that have been mentioned as acceptable by members here.
Good luck.

Peterl

DSR 11-05-2010 12:43 PM

Thanks Peter - I understand what you are saying. I don't want to break the bank but I do want to stay somewere safe and clean. Not knowing the area I'm just not sure about the cheaper hotels. (I know in Miami you don't get a cheap hotel).

Do you find Ft. Lauderdale safe?

MCPayne 11-05-2010 04:00 PM

Hi DSR.

Any of those hotels should be fine. The Sleep Inns and Comfort Inns are owned by Choice Hotels, which usually aren't bad for a reasonable price. I haven't stayed at any of those, but have stayed at several Comfort Inns in the past, and have never had a problem.

Based on your list, I think both the Comfort Inn and the Comfort Suites offer a shuttle to Port Everglades.

peter l 11-06-2010 06:32 AM

DSR, we don't know Fort Lauderdale that well to know where not to be but usually stay in areas that are considered OK..I think one needs to use common sense about where you are and your surroundings and take care anywhere you are. I think that the best thing is be where the tourists are in numbers and avoid areas that look unsafe.

Peterl

susanmaz 11-08-2010 12:40 PM

We stayed at the Sleep Inn Dania last November. It's far from any Ft Lauderdale doings, but if it's just for an overnight, it's great. Transportation from airport and to the pier, free breakfast, right next door to a Walgreens where we bought all of the "necessities" for which we didn't want to deal with TSA rules. There is a strip shopping center across the street with a grocery store, a dollar store and some good restaurants. It was a reasonable price. There were a lot of cruisers there, and the staff were very knowledgeable and helpful.