Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 05:56 AM

Hi everyone,
we are on Celebrity cruise ex Ft. lauderdale but flying in and out of Miami airport. Our cruise disembarks 0700 with our flight home to England not leaving until 2040 from Miami. I know there is anexcursion from the ship in the morning that would drop us off at the airport but this would be at about 1300 hrs ( far too long to be hanging round the airport). Can anyone give alternative suggestions? We have never visited Ft. Lauderdale before ( we will spend 1 night at a hotel pre-cruise, but this will just involve a meal and bed I think), and would like to get in some sightseeing before coming home. I think we could possibly go back to the pre-cruise hotel if necessary to store our luggage for a few hours. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, is it betteer to get a taxi or shuttle for the journey from Miami airport to Sheraton Yankee clipper ft. lauderdale, and what are the likely costs? Thanks Janet
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM

I hope you enjoy the Yankee Clipper, one part is right on the ocean and the other is right across the street. If you can store your luggage at the Yankee Clipper post cruise, you can take the water taxi for $10/pp for unlimited travel up and down the intracoastal waterway. They make a couple of stops on Las Olas Boulevard, which is a fun place to check out the shops. They also make stops at various places up and down the intracoastal. Be sure to go all the way up to Shooters, they have great drinks there. A couple of doors down is Charley's Crab and they have excellent food. A good place for dinner when you arrive might be the Pier66 Bar and Grill. It's right on the intracoastal and the food was great. I'll warn you, the portions are huge. An appetizer will feed 4 people, the salads will feed a small army and the entrees would feed a small 3rd world country. Pier 66 is not that far from the Yankee Clipper and wouldn't cost more than $10 for a cab ride. You can also see Port Everglades from Pier 66. There used to be a wonderful restaurant at the Bahia Mar Marina which is in walking distance of the Yankee Clipper called Patricia Murphys, but sadly they are no longer in business. I'd suggest the Sea Watch as well, but it would be a more expensive cab ride. The Sea Watch is right on the ocean and the views are wonderful, they have an early bird special as well. It was a 3 course meal and I believe it was $29.95/pp. If they offer a shuttle from Miami to the Yankee Clipper, that would probably much less expensive than a cab ride. It's about a 45 minute drive. Hope this helps some. Best wishes!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 AM

Hi Penny, Thanks for such a full reply - it is very helpful. I will print it off and take it with us for the restaurant recommendations. The water taxi sounds ideal.I am so looking forward to this cruise and as I have never visited America before am really looking forward to the day in Ft. Lauderdale. Best Wishes janet
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Water taxi sounds great. Another option is car rental. You can rent from most major companies (I use Budget) and they have an office at or near the port. You can get a car for $30 to $50 and lock your luggage in it. There is no drop off fee anywhere in the state of Fla. You can get lots of info regarding sights and simply drive around and see what you want. When necessary to head for the Airport you can simply drop the car and off you go.
Just another idea.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks for that papaflamingo, I never considered renting a car -certainly sounds a cheap option . Janet

Closed Thread