Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 AM

What is the best way to get from the pier to LA (near LAX)? We ended up with a flight early the next morning so we are going to a hotel near the airport that offers airport shuttle service.
We are thinking about taking the Carnival transfer to LAX and hopping on the hotel shuttle. Would we be better off taking a taxi to the hotel? Are taxis readily available at the pier? I don't know the distance or the cost???
I've heard of other shuttles from the pier. Who would they be and would they only transfer to LAX? What's the cost on this too..
So many small details to work out.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I think your best bet would be one of the shuttle services; either Prime Time Shuttle or SuperShuttle. The fare from the Carnival Terminal in Long Beach to LAX is $32 total for two in a shared van; but the shuttle will take you to any hotel in the area. The distance to LAX is 22.79 miles and the estimated time is 30 minutes.

The Carnival transfer would be much more expensive and more inconvenient too. Taxis are plentiful but also very expensive.

Another advantage of the two shuttle services I mentioned: you can reserve your ride and pay in advance: one less hassle upon disembarkation.

Rick
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the ideas. In the past we sailed from Miami so we are newbies to the west coast.
Are these shuttles available to grab once we get off the ship without prepaying the transfer?

I checked their websites and they ask for debarkation times. As we don't have a flight to catch that day I don't know what time we will debark. I suspect we will be one of the last. I don't want to be waiting around the pier if we get off sooner.

Also, if we pay in advance do we just head to a shuttle and get on?

We have been used to debarking and heading a short distance to the Miami airport. I appreciate any advise I can get!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:13 PM
It dosen't really matter what time you disembark: the shuttles run almost continuously and you don't need a reservation--that is just a convenience for you. But if you have to give them a time, tell them 10:00.

They use 7-9 passenger vans and the vans don't leave until they are full. But most of the people using the shuttles will be going to LAX so you shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes.

Ask your porter to take you to the shuttle stand; thell the dispatcher there where you want to go and he will direct you to the next available shuttle.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:10 PM

You have been a great help! We were being charged $50CDN each for the transfer from the pier. We will grab a shuttle to our hotel.
I take it the same is true from LAX. Instead of prepaying a drive to our Long Beach hotel we can go to a Shuttle stand and go when the shuttle is full.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes, you could do the same going from LAX to your Long Beach hotel, although you should check with the hotel first--they just might have a free shuttle from LAX to the hotel. If not, Prime Time or SuperShuttle would be your best bet.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Last time we cruised from Long Beach we stayed at the Coast Hotel. They have changed their name to Hotel Maya. They have/had free shuttle service to and from the hotel, free ride to the ship, and a free breakfast. The rooms were very nice, and so was the buffet breakfast.
You might give them a call and see if they still have their "cruise special".
Here are some photos of the Hotel. Notice the Queen Mary in the 2nd photo? Carnival parks right next to her.

[IMG]http://joslin-family-
photos.smugmug.com/photos/447717755_SpEzi-L.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Sorry about that here is the one with the Queen Mary.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Gary, that is great; I hope that works out for SandyToes.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks Gary
This hotel was one of the two we are looking at in Long Beach. The other was the Residence Inn by Marriott which is right next door.
A picture is worth a thousand words. The area looks beautiful and the Queen Mary looks like an easy walk. We were thinking on having dinner aboard so we can get a closer look at the ship.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, carnival, cruise, fare, la, lax, long, port, prime, shuttle, splendor, taxi, time, transfer, transfers