Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM

I live just outside manhattan and have decided against driving to the manhattan terminal for my cruise out of NYC. I plan on taking the subway to columbus circle (as suggested by the terminal website).

My question is how far is the walk from the subway station? Is it possible with my luggage? Is there a better station to go to? Or should I just break down and get a cab from Penn.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM

I live just outside manhattan and have decided against driving to the manhattan terminal for my cruise out of NYC. I plan on taking the subway to columbus circle (as suggested by the terminal website).

My question is how far is the walk from the subway station? Is it possible with my luggage? Is there a better station to go to? Or should I just break down and get a cab from Penn.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned

Mike,
I just got home from a weekend in NYC with the family. Times Square was unbelievably crowded. Actually, all of Manhattan was nuts. The worst we've ever seen it. In all honesty...
Cab it from Penn Station. Hands down, the best solution.

A'ndrea
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM

Mike, I think it's about a mile walk. The subway lets you off around 59th and 8th, and you have to walk west, to 12th Ave and around 55th St.

See if THIS helps.

Sandy
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

It depends upon how much luggage you have. And, I suppose, on the weather.

Believe it or not, it will likely be faster to walk from Columbus Circle than to take a taxi. That's because the queue to get up the ramp to the terminal is outrageously long when there are ships in port. Same for your return trip.

If you can roll your luggage without much effort, it will save you both time and $. But, if neither is a consideration, or if you do not wish to transport your luggage on foot, you can cab it from Penn Station. You might also get off at Columbus Circle and flag a taxi there or by one of the nearby hotels (Essex House on Central Park South is the closest).
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM

i just realized how dumb i am for asking that question...end of the day, looking for attention i guess

i used to work right there, on broadway haha...oh well

and depending on the weather, i like the suggestion of taking the subway to columbus, then taking a cab or walking, depending on how i feel....if i can bum a ride from someone (no parking fees), is that a good idea, or is the traffic near the terminal crazy?

and thanks for the tip Andrea, but i avoid Times Square at all costs at all times...been living in NY my whole life, and still havent visited Time Square (walked through it plenty, but never had the patience to stay), the Empire State Building (though walked by it every day to work) or the Statue of Liberty (been by it on a boat only)...though thats pretty typical for a new yorker i guess - visit the entire city, except the major attractions....
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned

On Sunday morning two NCL's were in port. One was the Spirit. I couldn't read the name off of the other. It was bumper to bumper traffic, including the ship's terminal ramp. Droves of cruisers were pulling their luggage across Henry Hudson Blvd.

I know what you mean about living in your own state and not seeing the sights. I visited Niagara Falls, for the first time, 5 years ago. And, no matter how many times I've been to the city, there's still something we wanted to see/do, but didn't get to do it. If you get a chance to get to South Street Seaport, visit the Bodies Exhibit. It was outstanding and well worth the $21 pp fee.

Have a great cruise Mike!

A'ndrea
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM

I actually saw the Bodies exhibit last summer. You're right - it was really amazing. I'm still baffled by how they can remove everything except the circulatory system, and then suspend it in that liquid without destroying it - and everything else was equally as cool.

Well, thanks for the advice, and hopefully you can all hear about my doc dance soon.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

Looking forward to it, Mike.

A'ndrea
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
if i can bum a ride from someone (no parking fees), is that a good idea, or is the traffic near the terminal crazy?...

Yes, traffic at the terminal is nuts. So what we've done when we have been able to get a ride was to be dropped off on 11th Avenue, a block away. Then, on the way home, we'd be picked up on 11th Avenue, as well.

Mike, I'm actually going to be in the area on Tuesday -- business meeting near Columbus Circle. Anything you'd like me to check out, should time permit after the meeting?

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, circle, columbus, cruise, manhattan, miracle, new, ny, nyc, pier, port, reviews, subway, terminal, walk, york