Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 AM

has anyone stayed here? if so is it easy to get to the beach.. I am staying with my kids so they get a couple days beach times.

Decent hotel?

El Greco: Jamaica Resort
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
We stayed there last October. Decent hotel, but far from anything. If you stay there, I would recommend you arrange for a car rental. It is kinda/sorta on the bus line - but with kids, it will be hard to catch the bus going into the city. It has a pool and a pool-side bar, on site restaurant with breakfast buffet included (at least when we were there), shuttles to and from the airport and cruiseport, free internet. If you're looking for a touristing base pre or post cruise, I would not suggest it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM

thank you so much for the info.. it is hard to find a hotel that week of spring break that wont cost a arm and leg.. that is why i booked it.. I am driving from OHio to Ft Lauderdale so i will have a car.. I was wondering if it is a straight shot to the beach where i can park? if i cant find a closer hotel

Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 AM

Just go east on SR84 to US1, go north to 17th street causeway, then go east on 17th street causeway, it takes you right to the beach. There is a public parking lot right past the Sheraton Yankee Clipper on A1A (17th street causeway becomes A1A around the bend east of the port). There's a really good diner on SR84, called Lester's Diner. It used to boast the world's largest cup of coffee. They have great breakfasts there, the cinnamon buns are wonderful, and their sandwiches are pretty good as well. Since you'll have your car, if you want a wonderful dinner, go north on A1A to the Sea Watch Restaurant. It's in north Lauderdale, almost to Pompano Beach, but they have an early bird special from 4-6 (I believe those are the times) when you can get a 3 course meal for $29/pp. The food is great and the scenery is wonderful. During spring break the beach area will be a total zoo, traffic will be bumper to bumper, and everything will be packed. Doing off-peak hours for eating will certainly help with wait times. But, after all, Ft. Lauderdale is known for spring break. There are plenty of places on A1A to grab a bite to eat. You're not going to find anything reasonably priced on the beach at that time of year. We stay at the TropiRock a lot, but they don't allow children. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Thank you so much for all your great tips..

Old 12-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohiocruiser:
has anyone stayed here? if so is it easy to get to the beach.. I am staying with my kids so they get a couple days beach times.

Decent hotel?
/////

It's a nasty hotel in a nasty part of town. Rooms in the surrounding area rent by the hour, not the night. I wouldn't put my dog in this property.

/////

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, cruise, fort, lauderale, port