Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 AM

Any opinions out there on reasonable places to stay with two teen-aged kids near Carnival's Miami pier (Africa Way).

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 AM

It's been too many years (4, I think) since hubby and I sailed out of Miami, so I wouldn't feel confident in recommending a hotel (not even sure I remember the name of the hotel we stayed at)....but, I did want to give a little bit of warning of something we discovered.

As you probably know, South Beach is full of night life party revellers. We knew that, too. What we didn't know was that when the bars close in South Beach (I think that's at 2:00 a.m.) the revellers do not quietly go home to sleep....noooooooo! They make their way back to Miami....and, we found out, to an rather industrial section of Miami. Empty warehouse are "transformed" each night shortly after South Beach closes down, into makeshift discos (well, that's what they were when we were young!).

We had booked a hotel so close to the pier that we could see the entrance to the pier from the entrance to our hotel. Wooo hooo! (we thought)....about 3:00 a.m. we woke up to this loud, repetitive thumping sound. That deep sound that rattles rafters. What on earth could this be? I got up out of bed and looked out our window onto an unbelievable scene down below....hundreds of young people, dressed to the nines, entering the "empty" warehouse behind our hotel. The thumping noise was the bass from the music turned up to hearing-loss level. This did not stop until time for us to get up and have breakfast...we looked out our window again, in blissful silence, those same hundreds of young people, still dressed to the nines, filing out of the warehouse (aided by police officers!)...

I tell you this so you can be forwarned, but not to discourage you. If I were sailing out of Miami I'd book the same hotel again, if I could -- it was incredibly convenient and not expensive -- I would just take along earplugs!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:25 AM

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn by the pier (Bayside, I think) and it was very convenient and also a great area. They had shuttle to the pier at that time as well. There may be others that are better now, but check it out for sure. Depending on the length of your stay and arrival time, somewhere on South beach could be fun as well..especially with all the drunks leaving after they close as Terri pointed out!

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 11-27-2006, 02:21 PM

We just got back from our Nov cruise out of Miami. We stayed in a hotel called The Sagamore. This was such a beautiful hotel The staff are so accommodating and go out of there way to please you. We were lucky and got a rate of $245/night and ended up with the penthouse suite. You will pay close to $200/night for a decent place anywhere in Miami but be very careful....we paid $200 last year and stayed on the strip and could not sleep for all the noise. The Sagamore is a close enough walk to all the action but far enough away from the noise and trust me when I say it is one beautiful resort.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, close, destiny, hotels, miami, motel, motels, pear, peir, pier, piers, port, ports, shuttle, triumph