Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 PM

Can anyone recomend a decent hotel low -moderate priced near the port of Long Beach?

Also how far is the Sunset strip in Hollywood from the port of Long beach? Would a cab be expensive, is driving in California very confusing if we rent a car?

Is the Sunset strip area nice and safe?

Couples Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 AM

Hello. I was born and raised in the Long Beach area, and I used to go clubbing in Hollywood. The only hotel I would stay in at Long Beach is the Hyatt. The Hyatt is in walking distance to the Long Beach Aquarium. I would stick to a hotel chain. Some of the "Hotels", look like dumps, and are in bad areas. Keep in mind, Long Beach has a HEAVY gang presence, so stay in the tourist spots. Stay in the tourist area of the Seaport Village, in my opinion. As far as Hollywood Blvd, considering the traffic on the freeways, a taxi would cost a fortune I would imagine. If you rent a car, I don't think the freeways are confusing, although there are lots of them. Parking in Hollywood can be a nightmare, in more ways then one. I almost always had to park in a residential street and walk from there. There were times I did not feel safe. Santa Monica Blvd, is the street for gay clubs. Sunset strip is knowing for its "rock clubs", and Hollywood Blvd is know for its disco/dance clubs, they tend to have a heavy latin (sometimes on the verge of gang-banger like) presence, at least they used too. Anyways, if you rent a car, be careful. LA traffic is horrible. Have a good map, and good luck.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-25-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks so much Lori! I want to stay near the cruise ships in Long Beach so I can easily get to the Carnival Pride. I want to see the rock and roll clubs on the strips, like the Whiskey. About how long would it take me to drive from Long beach to the Sunset strip? Are there any pay parking lots or vallet parking for the clubs?

Old 03-25-2006, 07:16 PM

Hi. Well if you drive to Hollywood, try to have another person with you, so you can take the "diamond/carpool lane". That will help ALOT with traffic. I don't know how many miles it is from Long Beach, but that really is irrelevant, due to the traffic. My friend used to work at UCLA, and he moved out here to Phoenix, he said he got tired of driving 15 miles and it taking 45 minutes on the freeway. So, distance is not a factor really, due to the traffic. First of all, what time of day/night you go to Hollywood would make a big difference. I would try to avoid times between 3-6pm on the freeways. I don't remember if the clubs have valet or not, and where the pay parking is. Sorry. Hopes this helps. Lil' Lori

Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, I was thinking, with normal driving, with light traffic, it should take about 1 hour to actually get into Hollywood. I would check out the Whiskey, Viper room, Roxy's website to addresses, and suggestions for parking. Be careful and have fun . Once again, good luck. Boy, those were the days, Lil' Lori

Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 AM

Hi Lori,
Another question is it closer to the pier if I fly into Long Beach rather then LAX?

Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi, if you are crusing out of Long Beach, than the airport at Long Beach is MUCH closer than LAX. Even if it is more expensive to fly into long beach, by the time you spent money on a taxi, or whatever, and extra time lost on the freeway to get from LAX to Long Beach pier, then IMHO you might as well fly into Long Beach. It will save you time. See if some of the nicer hotels have a airport shuttle to pick you up. It might cost you more a night, but you will save money in transportation cost. Are you doing the 4 or 7 night out of Long Beach. Lil' Lori

Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Hi Lori,
I just booked the Pride 7 night from Long beach. I also reserved a room at the Mariott. I think I will fly into Long Beach as I was thinking the same thing you said, what good does it do me to save a few dollars just to spend then on transportation? Im very excited and I will spend at least 2 nights in California to see the Queen Mary and take a Hollywood tour, or visit Disney Land. Thanks for all your advice you have been a big help!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 PM

Sort of on-topic ...
We are cruising into Long Beach and flying on to Maui. Any advice as to which airport is a better choice?
We disembark at 9 am and am looking at a 12:35 flight out of Long Beach airport.
Thanks, Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Hello,

I just want to add that Long beach is not heavily gang infested. While there are some poorer areas of Long Beach where some gang members live, you will be far away from these areas, as you will be in the office and residential areas of Long Beach on or near Ocean Blvd.

Flying in and out of Long Beach is a good recommendation, because this airport is much closer to the ports and much less congested.

I highly recommend that you rent a car to see the Sunset Strip, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, and Santa Monica. Plan on walking around the shopping areas of Beverly Hills. Use valet parking at any of the night spots that you visit.

Hope that you have a great time,

Fred

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, long, strip, sunset