Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/)
-   -   Mobile, AL cruise port question for Dave and others (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/2788-mobile-al-cruise-port-question-dave-others.html)

Keith & Rita 09-28-2009 09:05 AM

We will be taking our first cruises from Mobile beginning Dec 28, 2009 to Jan 07, 2010. We've booked back to back five day cruises on the Fantasy. We also booked the Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel the night before since they offer free parking for the cruise. Since we disembark the ship on my birthday we are considering spending a post cruise night at the hotel and visiting the US Alabama battleship museum. Any recommendations for this or other Mobile attractions would be appreciated.

Dave 09-28-2009 09:42 AM

The battleship park is interesting. They have several military airplanes too, as well as the submarine - definitely a claustrophobic experience.

Lots of seafood of course. Wintzell's Oyster House is famous. They've started franchising but this is the original location.

There are also several restaurants along Battleship Parkway (highway 90) which runs across Mobile Bay. Be aware the police love to sit all over this road and run radar.

Speaking of restaurants - right at the entrance to the battleship park is a place called The Captain's Table. Don't go there. Expensive, poor service, and the food is inconsistent.

penny3333 09-28-2009 10:11 AM

Hi Keith & Rita, congratulations on your upcoming cruises. I think you'll like the Renaissance. We stayed there last July. They had a happy hour in the lounge, we ate in their restaurant upstairs. Wish I could remember the name, but the food was pretty good, pricey though. There were a couple of places across the street from the hotel, but the area didn't look that good to me, so we just stayed in the hotel. I'm sure it was ok, but I had never been there before. If I had known that Wintzells was nearby, I would have definitely gone there. We stayed there because they had the cruise and park. They will take you to the cruise port and drop you off with your luggage. When we returned, I called them, and they were there in about 20 minutes. It was really easy to get back to the highway, too. I would have liked to have spent some time there after the cruise, but my hubby wanted to go home. The best thing was, when we went up for breakfast, we could see the Holiday waiting for us. I even saw her go by to the turning basin, then I walked over to watch her dock. We spent the time before we could board trying to find some batteries and something else my hubby had forgotten.

Keith & Rita 09-28-2009 11:09 AM

Dave and Penny, thanks for the Mobile info. We always try to spend an extra day or two in new ports for us. This will be our first Carnival cruise since we cruised on the Victory for NYE 2002. The big draw for us is Mobile is our closet port for driving, about 9-10 hours. We are fed up with the airlines! The Fantasy will move to Charleston in May and begin year round cruises. The drive to that port is only about an hour more. The Elation will take it's place in Mobile, so that ship could be our next booking. We sailed on her in 2000 out of San Pedro.
I'm a big WWII history buff so the US Alabama sounds like a must. I'm not a big fan of sea food, however Rita is so we may try out Wintzell's.

Dave 09-28-2009 12:21 PM

BTW, my post has a hot link to Wintzell's. For some reason the software isn't underlining or otherwise highlighting links.

Keith & Rita 09-28-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave:
BTW, my post has a hot link to Wintzell's. For some reason the software isn't underlining or otherwise highlighting links.
Yes, I clinked it--thanks!

Cruise Fanatic 09-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

I'm a big WWII history buff so the US Alabama sounds like a must. I'm not a big fan of sea food, however Rita is so we may try out Wintzell's.
New Orleans would be another option. The D-Day museum in New Orleans just made a lot of changes this year and recently had a Grand Opening event to celebrate the new additions.

Keith & Rita 09-28-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
New Orleans would be another option. The D-Day museum in New Orleans just made a lot of changes this year and recently had a Grand Opening event to celebrate the new additions.
New Orleans may be down the road. My late father, a WWII veteran, lived there for years so I visited the city quite a few times, but it's been over 25 years now.
We were set to cruise on the NCL Sun for NYE 2005 out of NOLA, however Katrina changed that. We ended up cruising from Houston

Cruise Fanatic 09-28-2009 01:52 PM

I diverted from a cruise in March and did a fabulous WWII trip following the path of the 101st Airborne during WWII. The trip is based on the movie Band of Brothers. I am very interested in WWII history. Hopefully, your father spoke of his war days and you have some knowledge of his part in the war.

I cruised out of New Orleans last in 2007.

Keith & Rita 09-28-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
I diverted from a cruise in March and did a fabulous WWII trip following the path of the 101st Airborne during WWII. The trip is based on the movie Band of Brothers. I am very interested in WWII history. Hopefully, your father spoke of his war days and you have some knowledge of his part in the war.

I cruised out of New Orleans last in 2007.
He was one of the original members of the 101st Airborne. We was in Company 'F', 502 PIR, of the 101. He parachuted into Normandy the evening before D-day. We was wounded and captured on June 12, 1944 and spent the rest of the war at Stalag 4B Muhlberg. He died in 1987.