Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 PM

Hello! I have a question. Is anyone familiar with Southwest Airlines? Their rates just came up for October when I am leaving and the cheapest option so far is the internet fare of $79. Does anyone know how this works? Is it like airtran where you can't choose seats until check in? I would like to be able to sit on the plane with my boyfriend.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM

They assign your party to a "boarding group". Group A, B, C, etc....When they call your group, you board. You pick your seat as you walk down the aisle. I think, you get an earlier boarding group, based on how far in advance you check in. It might have changed, I would call them to confirm how they board. You should have no problem, sitting with your boyfriend. Good luck. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 PM
candi- As Lil Lori has said-Be sure to get there early for the sign in - especially if you wish to sit together! There have been some discussions that SouthWest is going to change this policy so keep checking with the airlines.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 AM

I noticed that there is an online check-in- should I do that to ensure a better seat?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

Absolutely; SWA seats in groups (cattle call), Group A, B, and C. If you go online and check in, 9 out of 10 times you'll be in Group A, which gets seated first.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

My friend is a pilot for "a major overnight delivery company" and he flies SWA as often as he can when flying out to where his next assignment is, and he says there is a method to getting the coveted "A" passes. I am not sure what the secret is, since I've never flown SWA. Perhaps a google search will help explain it. I know he does it online, but there is something about the timing of doing it - maybe it has to do with knowing when SWA opens up a flight for online check-in. Sort of like knowing when the Rolling Stones tickets go on sale for the big concert.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

You can check in online beginning 24 hours before your flight departs. I have done it 23 hours, 55 minutes before flying, and got the "A" ticket (Sacramento International). I also did it about 12 hours before departure (Orlando), and received my "A" ride.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I guess is depends on the flight? I'd like to try SWA but it is a 90 mile drive in either direction to their nearest airport - they go to Nashville and Birmingham but not Huntsville, which is a 20 minute drive for me.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

I always liked SWA when I lived in Florida. Very simple program to follow, the further out you booked the cheaper the flight. The closer in you booked, you paid more. They would occasionally run internet booking deals, and the staff was always friendly. They have a good frequent traveler program. No suprises on what you got based on how you traveled. Wish they flew to Minneapolis. Right now, the closest is Chicago Midway.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

I will say, in the past I have usually flown SWA, including our recent trip to the Caribbean, via Orlando. Most of the flights, however, have been Sacramento to LA, Sacramento to Phoenix. On my recent trip to Nashville, I flew Frontier; there was a significant difference in seat size between these two airlines. On a short flight, I'll still go SWA, but on anything longer than two hours, I'm likely to choose another carrier, just for the little bit 'o extra butt space in the seat... not suggesting that I NEED the extra butt space, it's just nice to have when, like me, you have that stamp on your forehead that says "really large people, please sit next to me." I'm not knocking large people, either; I'm 6'2 and pushing 250 (I'm large boned and don't look a pound over 225).

Closed Thread

Tags
airlines, booked, cruise, southwest